2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, not sure if this is in the right section, if not can someone please move it.
Was just wondering if anyone knew if you can turn off the front passenger airbag? i have read the manual but cant see it anywhere in there.
Cheers Guys and Gals
Andrea XXXXX

·
Registered
277 Posts
Andrea - I thought I read somewhere on here that you can't (someone will find the link) plus I don't think I read that you could in the manual (too many double negatives !?!).

Shame as would have liked the flexibility of putting child seat in the front if needed.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It appears the front passenger airbag cannot be deactivated. I don't know why. Much lesser cars I have driven have had a swith to disable it, by inserting the key into passenger armrest asnd turning it 1/4 of a turn.

It says child seats must be installed in the back.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, was just wondering for future reference as when have got a child would like to have it in the front with me when travelling alone with the child. thanks anyway guys XXXX
Andrea XXX

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I think its the best place for children, anyway. In fact the boot would have been handy on occasions !! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Andrea, Honda will not allow their airbags to be switchable.

The reason given for this is the fact that they are so popular in America, and if the airbags was switched off, and somone was injured as a result, Honda would be at risk of litigous actions.

The second reason Honda have given is that if you do have a child in the front seat, and the switch isn't working (e.g. set to off, but the airbag still deploys) it could be disastrous to an infant in the front.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Agree with all the above but wonder how other manufacturers have got comfortable with this. As Bungle says other cars, including lesser ones, have it. I think the VW/VAG group cars have the ability to turn off the passenger airbag !?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is fair enough, thank you for the info guys XXXXX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts