2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 438 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a few hours to spare and so drove down to Leicester's largest ICE dealer (huge place with a large workshop). Front speakers for a new Honda Civic?

"Sorry mate, dunno what goes in".

Could you remove the panel and have a look?

"No".

Went outside and bumped into a mechanic, who was happy to lend me a cross head screwdriver. 2 minutes later the panel was off and both the tweeter and woofer removed. Back to the salesman, now looking in the hole.

"Nothing will go in there mate".

Nothing at all?

"Nothing except an "Exile" - they're more than £200 and they are as thin and small as those in there now, and I'd have to order them specially".

I had walked in, wallet bulging, I took the door apart for them and still he wouldn't help me.

Back to the drawing board :(

If anyone else would like to kill an hour without spending any money, visit http://www.cel-direct.com/Contact.asp

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
From their site:

"Please try to keep e-mails short and concise as our sales team are Car Audio experts, not trained typists! If you require extensive advice please call our pre sales advice line."

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Sounds as rubbish as the speakers we have. That's terrible service, obviously in the case biggest isn't best.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the interest of completeness, here are some pics (trying to get help here).

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
While your getting the speakers, invest in a new Tape Measure, jeepers that looks well used............. :lol:

P.S was the guy who served you called Kermit, were any of the other Muppets around?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went out and bought some Infinity Reference 6510CS components and some Astra adaptor rings.

Tweeters - glued in.
Woofers - drilled in the rings and mounted the woofers so that they didn't foul the metal.
X-over - stuck in the inside bottom of the door with double sided number plate tape.
Polarity - on the old woofer, +ve is the right hand connection as you look at the back of the speaker (tested with a 1.5v battery!)

Sound Quality? Best upgrade I've done on any car. Absolutley ace, and you'd be convinced it was a proper amped setup.

Happy at last!

sp13.jpg

sp14.jpg

sp15.jpg

sp16.jpg

sp17.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The speakers were £90, the rings £12. The first door took about 1.5 hours, but this included making up the wiring for the second door. The second door took about 30 minutes. It helps if you've done this kind of thing before though - I have lots of bits and pieces "in stock" to quickly make up wires and so on. A novice may take up to 3 hours to do the whole job.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Very nice, although way too advanced for me!
I notice on the manufacturers website they don't list the 6510's, only the 6010's
http://tinyurl.com/gr7mp

This site does state though:
Item pictured is actually Reference 6010cs. The Reference 6510cs have a bigger outer ring with more fixing holes
http://tinyurl.com/nznlc

·
Registered
430 Posts
Having used infinity speakers in the past, I know they are superb speakers.

This will definitely be on my list of mods when I get the car.

Pottsy, Have you planned to do the same for the rear doors - There may be an infinity speaker that can 'pop' in there. It should definitely improve the low end sound.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Pottsy,

Can you tell me what kind of bass you're getting with the infinity's?
It's the only thing I'm not entirely happy about with my Audio Design upgrade.
So now I'm thinking of moving them to the back doors and fitting your setup in the front.
However I only want to do this if it is going to dramatically improve my wooly bass.
As I mentioned before in a previous post I'm not into thumpin' glass shakin' bass, just a nice
tight, clean sound.

Any comments much appreciated

all the best,
Roger

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Roger Harris said:
Hi Pottsy,

Can you tell me what kind of bass you're getting with the infinity's?
It's the only thing I'm not entirely happy about with my Audio Design upgrade.
So now I'm thinking of moving them to the back doors and fitting your setup in the front.
However I only want to do this if it is going to dramatically improve my wooly bass.
As I mentioned before in a previous post I'm not into thumpin' glass shakin' bass, just a nice
tight, clean sound.

Any comments much appreciated

all the best,
Roger
You know what... now the bassworks speakers have bedded in a bit, they sound exactly like your requirements

1 - 20 of 438 Posts