2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The o/s front suspension picked up a chatter/ rattle at low speeds on rough roads. I initially thought that it was a drop link and replaced both sides with Meyle HD links, most of the noise has gone apart from when it goes over a rough patch at a junction.
But the chatter seems to have moved from being generally the o/s front suspension chatter to sounding as if its rattling the upper shock.

Would this possibly be the top mount?

Considering that its seems to be a common fault and the roads are geting worse and that that this part number is pretty much standard fit across a lot of the Honda range including the EP3 type R...is there an uprated replacement available?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
The o/s front suspension picked up a chatter/ rattle at low speeds on rough roads. I initially thought that it was a drop link and replaced both sides with Meyle HD links, most of the noise has gone apart from when it goes over a rough patch at a junction.
But the chatter seems to have moved from being generally the o/s front suspension chatter to sounding as if its rattling the upper shock.

Would this possibly be the top mount?

Considering that its seems to be a common fault and the roads are geting worse and that that this part number is pretty much standard fit across a lot of the Honda range including the EP3 type R...is there an uprated replacement available?
Common fault is track rod ends. When my gen2 had a rattle like yours it was loose fitting track rod ends. If I grabbed them they would move up & down.

Reactions: theblackmoneypit

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I'll take the wheel off again and check the track rod end for play.

Could be the whole issue I've been having with track and balance as it either all goes to pot when the wheels come off or gets better before .
Gonna have to find a new tyre and tracking place as they really seem to be clueless in regards to solving the problem.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Thanks for that, I'll take the wheel off again and check the track rod end for play.

Could be the whole issue I've been having with track and balance as it either all goes to pot when the wheels come off or gets better before .
Gonna have to find a new tyre and tracking place as they really seem to be clueless in regards to solving the problem.
I was able to put my hand in through wheel arch and grab hold of the track rod end and move it up & down with car on the ground and wheels on :)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I had similar rattle and turned out to be a anti roll bar bushings (£12 from Honda for pair). Just be careful when removing their bolts-very seized and can snap easily leaving you with no option but to drill them off...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had similar rattle and turned out to be a anti roll bar bushings (£12 from Honda for pair). Just be careful when removing their bolts-very seized and can snap easily leaving you with no option but to drill them off...
had considered the anti-roll bar bushes and have some on order, should be delivered tomorrow..I hope.
Thanks for the tip on the bolts, so far... so good, even the droplinks came off without rounding off the hex key.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Are track rod ends easy to do yourself? Mine can be moved left - right quite easy, i take it this is not normal :) I have a VERY loud rattle on the drivers side, already changed drop links.

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
You shouldn't have any 'play' in any of your suspension or steering, if you do then this could well be the cause of your knocking and would be an MOT failures.

When you say moved left-right, can you elaborate?

From the side of the vehicle, can you push/pull the offending wheel and feel/hear any play/taps?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts