2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mot failed on front nearside shock, offside is on the way out as well. I’m looking at the bilstein shocks and springs. I was going to order from Autodoc but I’ve seen the same ones on eBay for a few pounds more which has quicker delivery. I will order top mounts from Cox. Is there anything else I should get at the same time? All help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
i would fit the new bump stop kit from COX at the same time, i would have done it if i had know about it
i don't know your budget and if you are looking at doing a suspension update but i would recommend fitting front and rear Bilsteins, top mounts, bump stop and bearings and after reading reviews on the Eibach Springs as well, i'm going to gradually buy all the bits and get them fitted its a big chunk of money to out lay but well worth doing
thats my 2 penath

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would fit the new bump stop kit from COX at the same time, i would have done it if i had know about it

i don't know your budget and if you are looking at doing a suspension update but i would recommend fitting front and rear Bilsteins, top mounts, bump stop and bearings and after reading reviews on the Eibach Springs as well, i'm going to gradually buy all the bits and get them fitted its a big chunk of money to out lay but well worth doing

thats my 2 penath

I had a look at the bump stop kit at cox at approximately £60 a side. Is there an aftermarket alternative as I’m already going over budget but if I have to get from cox then I will. I’m planning to do the rears in a couple of months or so.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is about a 99% chance you will not get the Drop links off without cutting them, so something to bare in mind tbh. Id highly recommend the Bilsteins as well.

Drop links were changed around nearly 2 years ago but I may have to change them. I’m planning on doing this work myself to save on labour and spend it on parts instead.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
i'm buying the genuine Honda bump stops, i think there are after market ones, i would also opt for the Meyle HD drop links
i already have full Bilstein struts, but i have promised the Mrs i will only spend max £150 per month on car mods, so i have a few months of collecting parts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I would check the price at your local Honda dealer.
I have found that the prices at Cox are not always the lowest.
Try to get them to price match Cox and save something on postage too.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm buying the genuine Honda bump stops, i think there are after market ones, i would also opt for the Meyle HD drop links
i already have full Bilstein struts, but i have promised the Mrs i will only spend max £150 per month on car mods, so i have a few months of collecting parts
Do the Bilsteins come with everything needed? Eg. Would I need to get any nut/bolts etc?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve ordered the following:

Bilstein front shocks
Bilstein front springs
Meyle hd droplinks
Genuine Honda top mounts from Cox
Genuine Honda bump stop kit from Cox

Total spend on parts is over £400. Let’s see if I can save on labour costs, I will try and fit myself by following the how to guides on here

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
Wait till you get the price for Genuine Honda Drop Links. I enquired yesterday about the 9G and was quoted £59.34 per side, yes folks, each so £118.68. No way would I pay that.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait till you get the price for Genuine Honda Drop Links. I enquired yesterday about the 9G and was quoted £59.34 per side, yes folks, each so £118.68. No way would I pay that.

Exactly. The Meyle Hd ones were £38.95 for the pair

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought a pair of kyb bump stops and dust covers from Mister auto for 15 euro and they were fine. I also used kyb shocks from Mister auto and the shocks were just 62 euro each, local auto factors was 120 euro for same shock

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've assembled the struts today ready for fitting tomorrow. The only confusion is which way the arrows on the top mounts should be pointing towards.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found the info in an old thread, the arrows should be pointing towards front and back. The offside shock I removed from car had been fitted with the arrows pointing towards left and right. Perhaps that's why I used to get a clunk from the front.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Changed everything yesterday. Took about 3 hours to do both sides. Drives much better now, smooth over road surfaces and no more knocking or clunking sounds. This was the first time I did something like this but at least I know it's done properly. I'll probably change the rears in a couple of months or so. I'd like to thank everyone on here for all the info and advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've assembled the struts today ready for fitting tomorrow. The only confusion is which way the arrows on the top mounts should be pointing towards.

Towards the front of the car if I recall, but its easy cause the old shock mount left / grime left an imprint in the wheel arch of the arrow and its direction so just had to look up into arch and make sure new ones position matched while fitting.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Spent a very hot bank holiday fitting 2 front dampers and new bump stops. No more knocking from the bump stops, so chuffed :) Drop links were done a few years ago so left them. Hardest part (without pro spring compressor set up or vice) was removing and refitting the springs. Also the old strut has a bit of rubber that inserts into new struts at the bottom as a spring holder..

Some other tips:

When fitting the boot ensure it clicks in at the bottom, mine was quite tough to get in..

I found it easier removing the windscreen wiper/ shroud , better access to top mount bolts..

Sounds obvious but copious amounts of fast release penetrant applied days in advance made unbolting so much easier, get a large torque wrench and breaker also.. Even better a good impact driver..

Here's some pics, check those bump stops lol :)

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOHy429oj6CdVGmcuUjt_X2JkFgebUwfRzpt78d

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNwwAB3sgQC0fZAsivQaWHWpT-4PHGwy0a8tmtB

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNEejDjMGAaufA5CcpRdlGhjK5ZO1zuvX8D__u1

Was so excited to test drive forgot to take pics of the finished article, when I get the wheels off again I'll take some more pics..

MOT Friday so hopefully they can check my work..

Useful video:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts