2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
This may just be me being lucky a couple of times, but the last two times it's been raining (today being one of them), my wipers have behaved pretty well.

At the first spots of rain the wipers work OK, but then started being stupid. When this happened, I turned the knob on the stalk to max then back to min, then set it in the middle setting. This seemed to calm them down and function correctly both times. This was also in a mix of heavy and light rain.
Not saying this is a 'fix', it might be (probably is) total rubbish, but will see how it goes next time we have rain.
This does work for me as well. But it goes crazy too often and I have to keep doing this. The whole purpose of auto wipers is lost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This may just be me being lucky a couple of times, but the last two times it's been raining (today being one of them), my wipers have behaved pretty well.

At the first spots of rain the wipers work OK, but then started being stupid. When this happened, I turned the knob on the stalk to max then back to min, then set it in the middle setting. This seemed to calm them down and function correctly both times. This was also in a mix of heavy and light rain.
Not saying this is a 'fix', it might be (probably is) total rubbish, but will see how it goes next time we have rain.
This does work for me as well. But it goes crazy too often and I have to keep doing this. The whole purpose of auto wipers is lost.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just get the 9G wipers. I've been using them for nearly the whole year. No weird wipe patterns, no going crazy fast for no reason.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Okay as the rain has continued in my neck of the woods, almost non stop for a couple of weeks now, I do find the behaviour of the automatic wipers very odd.

It does indeed at times go crazy when there's light rain, and the sensor setting is set to its minimum.

When there's heavy rain, even with the sensor set to it's max it rarely seems to put the wipers on full speed.

It does behave in a way that others have mentioned here. Is there actually a fix for this? I can well imagine Honda will just say 'it's working fine, it must be you' or words to that effect!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm going to mention mine when it goes in for it's second service next May. It's not usual at all.

I even tried resetting by removing and replacing fuses 19 & 20 (which someone over at CivicX reported had worked for them.

I have RainX, the sensor doesn't look 'out of place', the wipers are just erratic at best whichever sensitivity level is set!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm going to mention mine when it goes in for it's second service next May. It's not usual at all.

I even tried resetting by removing and replacing fuses 19 & 20 (which someone over at CivicX reported had worked for them.

I have RainX, the sensor doesn't look 'out of place', the wipers are just erratic at best whichever sensitivity level is set!
Please keep us updated on the results. I’m having the exact same issue. Everything looks perfect but doesn’t function well at all. So annoying.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Today in the consistently quite heavy rain they worked very well on max sensitivity. It's the moderate to drizzle levels of rain they seem unreliable in dealing with.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Who changed the title of the thread that I opened? The 9G wipers fixed it for me with a whole year worth of driving and I drove 35,000km last year alone. Rather rude to change a title without referring to the thread opener don't you think? Your opinion must be the only one worth anything on the site oh high and mighty...

It all comes down to the structural rigidity of the blades. It has nothing to do with the sensor malfunctioning. Pay attention to the extreme ends of your 10G blades and you'll notice them skipping or wobbling, especially with minimal lubrication (drizzle). Unfortunately, that's the area that wipes the sensor window. It does not do it well enough to get a clear view with every wipe. Hence, they go crazy in drizzle. Setting the stalk to max and then back to min does reset the issue until the wipers can't clean the window again and you're back to square one. Substituting the flimsy wipers with more structurally rigid ones fixes that issue, as well as the issue of window treatment being wiped from your field of vision.

I have a couple of hardly used 10G wipers in my garage. They're never going back on. Once I put on a new set of 9G ones, have never taken them off, or had to fiddle with the stalk constantly like before.

Not solved indeed, appalling behavior

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can confirm after following OPs advice of 9th gen wipers I’m having way less issues with the wipers no erratic behaviour so far.

They’ve only been on 2 weeks so far. I will report back after I’ve done more journeys.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have now reduced my windscreen wiper blades by 1 generation!

I’ll update when I’ve had the opportunity to test any difference.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Okay so I've had quite a few differing intensities of rainfall using the Automatic wipers, and it is definitely a marked improvement using the 9G wiper blades (official Honda).

In moderate and heavy rain it works rather well.

It still isn't ideal in light rain, but rather than going nuts indefinitely before, it does actually stop, and start again without having to mess with the controls. You can definitely see at each end of the wipers during each 'wipe' there is little wobble in the 9G ones, whereas the 10G blade ends jumped about - probably not wiping effectively meaning the sensor area was never cleared properly.

When the light rain stops the wipers now continue for 5-6 further wipes before stopping, previously I had to change the sensitivity or turn them off to get them to stop.

ANOTHER thing Honda 'missed' when putting this car in to production... Tut tut!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I think what really put the issue to bed for me was the fact that in addition to the more rigid blades I also use meguiars Waterless wash and wax on the windows. Allows for a smoother glide.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts