2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you've all noticed that sometimes the auto wipers are terrible compared to the 8th and 9th gens. Especially when it's a light drizzle they go nuts trying to wipe the glass clear off the car.

Some of you who use a glass wax or something like rainX also may have noticed that within minutes of use they wipe away an area (strip) right smack in your field of vision resulting in annoying splotches that constantly need to be wiped. Thus defeating the purpose of said window treatments.

Solution install the 9G wipers!

This morning was the first time my rain sensors worked.

I'll keep you posted if they still wipe away glass treatments. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone on civicx already tried the Bosch wipers. They ended up doing the same eventually. Actually the 10G oem wipers look almost the same as the Bosch wipers. They come in one long thin aero shaped piece with cap ends.

The 9G wipers while also aero shaped are thicker and their backbone is divided into 3 pieces preventing the extra pressure from the arm just being concentrated in the middle. The 10G wipers can literally bend backwards while the 9G 3 sections prevent them from doing so.

If you take the 10G wipers off the glass and just straighten them as if they are on the glass you can see the middle part bending inwards which would account for the extra pressure at the arm location wiping off the window treatment.

Also given that the 9G wiper is more structurally rigid, the ends don't wobble which may account for a better wipe over the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
I had the wipers that you describe on my last Accord. They were crap, leaving unwiped area right in the sight line. New car. Honda changed the wipers for another set. Just the same. I changed them for the Bosch ones and had no further problems.

And I keep on banging on about not putting that rain repellent muck on your windscreen.

But thanks for the explanation anyway.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
I've still got my old 9G wipers in stock. I've not used the AeroTwins in anger but that's something to look at.

·
i-Vtec
1,497 Posts
TBH My 8G wipers go nuts sometimes in light rain depending on where the intermittent is set. Auto wiper are another function I could do without, much rather have a normal adjustable intermittent wiper function tbh.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I got the same problem. I drives me nuts sometimes. I already tried swapping them for Bosch Aerotwins. In the beginning it did seem better but over time it's the same problem.
The wipers on my 8G were much better.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I can also confirm that the 9G wipers do not wipe away window treatments in the annoying eye level strip that the 10G wipers do, as far as I can tell not at all anywhere in my line of sight.

They do however "go nuts" in very light drizzle, but considerably less frequently than before. Over the last couple of weeks it only happened once, while it was a multiple times daily occurrence before. Now they actually stop wiping when it stops raining. That never happened before. Basically, I don't have to constantly fiddle with the wiper stalk.

In case you're wondering what windshield treatment I use. It's a waterless wash and wax I use on the whole car from meguiars, after I actually wash the car, to get rid of any residual water spots. Works the same as rain X, making water bead and flow away without splotchiness.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually I bought a new pair of the 9G wipers as I was testing using an old 9G pair I had off my wife's car. Now they behave normally.

No crazy speed, no weird wipe pattern of window treatments.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't remember exactly. It's been a few weeks. I can say in that time we've had a couple of rainy weeks and they've worked well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone!
Sorry if this is already answered and I have not seen it. But has anyone tried replacing the rain sensor? Has that worked or will it work?
my rain sensor seems to be perfect by the looks of it but it doesn’t work properly.

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
If your existing sensor 'sort of works', but badly, I think it unlikely that changing the sensor will improve things. There are many complaints about the reliability/workings of the auto wipers. Luckily you can switch them on/of and alter the intermittent timing manually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your existing sensor 'sort of works', but badly, I think it unlikely that changing the sensor will improve things. There are many complaints about the reliability/workings of the auto wipers. Luckily you can switch them on/of and alter the intermittent timing manually.
It does sort of work. It sometimes goes full speed (happens alot) or sometimes doesnt work as it should when there is heavy rain. And i guess sometimes it forgets that its supposed to work as rain sensing wipers? However, if i turn it off and turn it back on, it will work normal for awhile and then go back to doing its thing.

Is there a way to disable the auto wipers and make it intermittent? I have a sedan 2018/19.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This may just be me being lucky a couple of times, but the last two times it's been raining (today being one of them), my wipers have behaved pretty well.

At the first spots of rain the wipers work OK, but then started being stupid. When this happened, I turned the knob on the stalk to max then back to min, then set it in the middle setting. This seemed to calm them down and function correctly both times. This was also in a mix of heavy and light rain.
Not saying this is a 'fix', it might be (probably is) total rubbish, but will see how it goes next time we have rain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts