2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been a member on here for a few months now, great forum for information and advice for my FN2.

Quick bit of my car history.
I started off around 10 years ago with a starlet turbo.

When i first got it

After a few changes

TD04 turbo kit

I had the Glanza for around 2 years. Started 100% and i ended with 210bhp from the TD04 turbo. It was fun with a such a light car.

My next car was a Civic eg with a K20 conversion

I had this car for around 3 years. I had it on the dyno and it made 236bhp.
Again it had very good power to weight ratio

I sold this car to fund my college fees as the big recession had made me redundant.

So four years in a 1.4 civic run a round i finally bought a 08 FN2 Type R GT in November 2014

First night i brought it home

I had been looking for a while for an FN2.
There wasnt that many for sale in Ireland when i was looking. I was contemplating going to the UK to pick one up, but the VRT was making it fall outside my budget.
This car then came up and i went to have a look.
It had 2 previous owners and a full service history book which is rare in Ireland.
It was in need of a good polish and the wheels needed a refurb.
Mechanically it was sound. So i made an offer and drove it home a few days later.

I was looking for a Milano red car at first. But when i went to see the car in the flesh the bronze looked nice.

So the first few things i had planned for the car were;
Full service,
Castrol 0W30 fully synthetic
Genuine honda oil filter
NGK spark plugs
New gear gaiter
Type R stickers and front badge
New ARB & drop links
New SOD for the passenger side mirror as it wasn't closing
Cox motorsports sorted me out for all of the above, as there really isnt too many place locally that i can the parts that i want.
I did pick up a new Honda battery from my local Honda dealer.

I prefer to all the work on my car myself. This way i know it will be done right.
Looking back through the service history book and i saw that a Honda dealer had used 10W40 semi synthetic in the car during a service!!

I installed the ARB in literally 10 mins they were very easy to fit. You can see the difference between the old an new.

The drop links were a different story. The bolts were just seized. So i had to get the angle grinder out!

Next on the list was to get the wheels refurbed.
So i brought them down to a local shop who make custom brake lines, aluminum radiators and intercoolers and luckily for me they powdercoat as well :cool:
Car radiators Auto Radiators Ireland Radfix Automotive truck Radiator Suppliers Galway Motor Radiators Radfix car

They came out perfect. So at the same time i got rid of the crappy tyres that were on the car and got a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2.
What a difference these tyres made. Superb grip in the dry and very impressed in the wet too.

Next thing to change was the standard head unit. Picked up a Pioneer with a built in hands free. Picked up a connect 2 facia and connection set to let me keep the steering wheel controls. This took me longer to install than i had planned but a bad hangover didnt help.

Had to get a set of Ricks footwell lighting kits too

And JP sorted me out with a full set of bulbs for the interior and exterior. Great difference they made. I hate the standard orange light from the standard bulbs.
I will upload some pics of the bulbs when its dark.

With day that was in it today i did a clean and a polish

I saw Colins (pigdogs) civic with the Mugen wing, fenders and front lip and thought it looked top class, so when i saw the typerkits group buy i had to bite the bullet. I order an M style rear wing, fenders and front lip.
Im hoping to have them next week and they will be off to the panel beater to get sprayed and put on the car.

My list of mods to do in the not to distant future are,

DC5 front Brembo brakes.
Honda S2000 discs
New rear discs and pads
Braided lines all round
20mm spacers all round to clear the front callipers.

HKS RSK
Hondata flashpro
Manifold and exhaust combo. (Still undecided on what make)
Front rigid colar set, as im sick of greasing the front subframe to stop the clicking.

Thats about it for now.
Any tips or advice will be much appreciated.:police:

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered some new wipers from Cox motor sports today.
I have a small knocking noise coming from my front right shock when i go over speed bumps, so i also ordered the bump stop kits to see if this fixes the issue.
I have already replaced the ARB and drop links so the bump stop kit should get rid of this.

One of my fog light bulbs has gone, only got them from JP 4 months ago so im not overlay happy with that.

Does anyone know regarding the interior lights, when i open the drivers door, only one out of the two front lights comes on. The other light works if i press the button to have it on permanently.
I would have assumed that wit the door open that both the bulbs would come on?

·
Administrator
18,082 Posts
Yeah I found the Assym2's made a hug difference over the 'ditch finders' mine came with.

I've never noticed how the interior door lights work, will try and check mine later. Does the other lamp only come on via the passenger door then?

I'm looking forward to seeing all the typerkits being applied in the coming weeks, yours included ;)

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I found the Assym2's made a hug difference over the 'ditch finders' mine came with.

I've never noticed how the interior door lights work, will try and check mine later. Does the other lamp only come on via the passenger door then?

I'm looking forward to seeing all the typerkits being applied in the coming weeks, yours included ;)

I thought that the passenger side bulb would come on when i opened the passenger side door, but its still the drivers side bulb.

My order from typerkits hasnt arrived yet, but i will still have to get it sprayed so it will be a few weeks yet.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Received my body parts today, mugen rear wing, vented wings and mugen front splitter.
Hopefully i will get the car off to the sprayers next week.
Have to get the above parts sprayed, bonnet due to the stone chips and my rear splitter as the previous owner caught it.
Ill get some pics up when i have the lot done.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Received my bump stops from Cox motorsports during the week.

I dropped the car up to the mechanic this evening and will have it back tomorrow.
I was getting a clunking noise on the drivers side shock when i go over speed bumps. So i am hoping that changing the bump stop sorts this as i have done the arb's and drop links.
I said i may as well do both shocks while i was at it.

Only other update is that i have the car booked into my local Honda dealer on Friday morning to asses the rust along the roof where the windscreen rubber has rubbed in.
Im hoping that they sort this under warranty.

My panel beater is extending his spray booth so it will be 3-4 weeks before i have the splitter, wings and spoiler sprayed and fitted :(

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tis always good to have parts arrive. Let us know if the bumperty stop kits prevent your clunks, fingers crossed eh.
The post man has been busy of late.
Im hoping that the bump stop sorts my knocking issue or its back to the drawing board to see what else it can be.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Collected the car this evening after getting the bump stops changed.
The clunking noise is now gone when i go over speed bumps, happy days.
I can now concentrate on aftermarket mods :eek:

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Loving the progress on this, can't wait to see it with all the Mugen goodies fitted! Such a nice colour the DBP
Cheers,
It can be a slow process to get the car the way i want it, but its moving along nicely in the 6 months ive had it.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I purchased a HKS RSK in the for sale section so looking forward to fitting that next week. It only has good reviews from anything ive read.

On another note, i went down to Honda today and they took pictures and emailed them off to Honda Ireland.
Got a call back today to say that Honda wont cover it as the 6 year extension ran out last May.
I was expecting as much as i even had to tell Honda Ireland that there was an extension for this problem.

So i will now be emailing Honda to ask why it wont be covered under the 12 year corrosion cover.
And if that fails i will be getting on to Honda UK, as from reading a few peoples posts on here a few people have gotten their roofs sorted outside of the 6 year warranty time frame.

I found it strange that neither my local Honda dealer nor Honda Ireland asked to see my service book?

Anyway i will keep this updated on the matter.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Job for this weekend was the brakes.
Im on the lookout for a BBK at the moment and trying to source one to come in under my budget.
But in the mean time i have noticed the brakes gradually getting worse and worse.
So not knowing when i will be picking up new set of brakes i picked up some EBC pads to tie me over.
Sunday i decided to tackle the brakes.
Ive done the brakes countless times on my other cars and it was no different on the FN2.

Set the tools out

Wheel off

Remove the two calliper bolts

Remove calliper

Remove pads

My sliders were quote stiff as i reckon these pads have been on since the car left the factory, so i freed up the sliders.

Get the new pads ready to go in,

Remove the old brake shims and put on the new pads

Old pads were genuine Honda, which is why i reckon they have been in since new. My car has just over 60,000 on the clock

Next is to remove the brake fluid cap and push the brake piston back in

Put the calliper back on

Tighten up the two bolts

What was left on the old pads

Check my brake fluid

Cap back on job done

Not overly impressed with the visual look of the calliper or piston, but no problems with the brakes now. Brake pedal is alot higher up with regards to the biting point and the brakes are much sharper.
Still bedding in so cant really comment, but im not expecting miracles with the a budget pad, its really just to tie me over.

Only problem i found was the inner pad on both sides was very reluctant to come out and go in.

I had to remove the medal slider clean it, and clean where it clipped on to the calliper mounting. It was like the brake dust was causing some clearance issues.

Anyway job done.

Hoping to have the HKS RSK on Wednesday or Thursday so if its dry ill pop that in.

·
Administrator
18,082 Posts
Wow, those pads were ready for the bin. You changed them just in time.

Take it easy for a few hundred miles, especially as you didn't change the disks.

Nice write up BTW

1 - 20 of 82 Posts