2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Still havent fitted my lowering springs.
I am going to leave it into the mechanic to get a few bits done so i will get him to fit the springs then.

Fitted my spigot rings, nice snug fit.

I upgraded the middle brake light. I will try get a better picture of the end results.

Before

During

After

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Hope you're not one of those who sits on the brake pedal at lights or you'll be exceedingly popular - not!!

One reason I dislike automatic cars with leds - aka Mercs!!

Al.

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
The 3rd brake light change looks waaay more impressive in person, photo's don't do it justice. Good job

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I was tackling the rear discs and pads yesterday;

Wheel off,

WD40 on the countersunk screws

Screws off

Calliper removed

Pads out

Carrier off

Disc off

New discs and pads ready to go on

New disc on

Carriers cleared of break dust and put on

Handy wind back tool for rear piston

Piston wound back in

Pads ready to go

Pads in

Calliper back on

I had a lip on the rear discs which is why i changed them. There was plenty of meat left on the rear pads but they sounded like metal on metal when cold in the mornings, and i wanted an uprated pad.

Worst part of the job is getting the countersunk screws out! Trying not to round off the head was very difficult. I really didnt want to have to drill them. Had trouble with one but got it in the end.

Have to wait until they are bed in to see if they make much difference.

I havent changed my front discs as im still on the look out for a set of DC5 Brembo callipers which require S2000 discs.

I have ordered some braided lines. So when these arrive and i get a nice dry day i will change these.
I also want to clean down the callipers and give them a touch of Hammerite as they look terrible.

I have my NCT in May, hoping to put the car in earlier as i want to order a manifold and exhaust. So to save me putting in and out a CAT ill get 2 years with the nct.
By putting these in the car it will need a remap so a Hondata Flash Pro will need to be purchased.

Ill put some pics up as i collect the bits i need.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I finally got myself a brake upgrade.

I was on the lookout for a second hand set of DC5 brembos, but they seemed to be hard got and are still making strong money.

Ended up getting a new set with a pair of adaptors to fit my car.

Ill go at them at the weekend and get some pics up when they are on. Im hoping i will have enough clearance with my alloys as the offset on my current ones are ET38 as opposed to the stock ET55 so i have 17mm more space to play with.

I have also gotten a set of cup-spoiler side skirt extensions.
I fitted these at the weekend, but didnt get a chance to get some photos yet.

Car is booked in for the NCT next Wednesday, should fly through im hoping.

Pics of brakes below;

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I tackled the brakes at the weekend.

Out of any work I've done on any of my cars, this was the most frustrating :mad)

The reason being, the old discs did not want to come off.
45 minutes to get the passenger side disc off and an hour for the driver side.
The discs were pretty much welded to the hub.
I have no idea when or if they had ever been changed.

So step one was jack the car up and remove the wheel

Step two was remove the caliper and carrier.

Counter sunk screw holding the disc on did not want to come out, so the drill was used to for these bt:)

As the disc did not want to come away from the hub, there are two ** threaded holes in the disc. I screwed two ** bolts into these. They then press against the hub and force disc away from the hub face.
I thought i was onto a winner here as the disc started to move.
Then the disc face cracked and that was when the lump hammer came out.

I had to pretty much bash the disc off. The two bolts had move the discs out around 10mm and the lump hammer did the rest.

When i tried the bolts on the driver side the disc didnt budge and the screws just kept twisting.
I was around an hour wedging bits of timber in behind the disc to stop one side going back in as i hammered out the other.
Eventually it came of.

Straight into the bin

Marks from the lump hammer

New V old

The Brembo calipers that i got come on the Megane RS, so i had a set of adapters to fit it on the civic.

It was a bit tedious lining the disc up so that it wouldnt catch the caliper. I had shims to line it up correctly.

Got there in the end.

Snug fit, i was definitely glad with my choice of offset when i picked up the alloys.

Fitted my side skirt extensions the week before also

I had to bleed the brakes a few times to ensure i had no air left in the lines and calipers. The colour of the old fluid was shocking. I would definitely advise who hasn't changed their fluid to do so. I bought a one make bleeder kit online. It couldn't be simpler to do.

I then bed the brakes in. I had to do between 10- 15 stops from 100km down to 20km.
This leaves a coat from the pads on to the disc surface.
The brakes are a world apart from the standard brakes.
The car nose dives when you brake hard.
Definitely the best mod i have done on the car so far.

I will pick up a set of braided lines to complement the brakes, as anyone who i have spoken to has recommended doing the lines to get the best out of an uprated caliper.

I had my NCT on Wednesday, so straight in and straight out.

I have two new tyres ordered from Caskill. I currently have Eagle F1 assemetric 2's fitted all round, i went for the assemetric 3's
I will eventually change to 3's all round as the other pair wear.

I still have my lowering springs in a box in the shed.
Car is hopefully going up to the mechanics to get these on along with changing the fan belt and getting my valve clearances done.

I have the NCT for two years now, so i will be looking for a manifold and exhaust in the next month or so. These will also require a Hondata flash pro and a map to get the most out of the car.

I will get some pics up when the car is lowered next week.

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Jeepers you really did knock 7 bells out of those disks.

The new anchors look great behind your alloys, top job

How tight were the tolerances to get the disk lined up with the caliper? Were both sides pretty similar?

On the inner face of the old disk, it doesn't look like the pad was sweeping to the edge of the disk.

Were the old disks lipped or scored?

If the fluid was in a similar condition to your disk's, then new fluid will have given a decent improvement to the bite.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Jeepers you really did knock 7 bells out of those disks.

The new anchors look great behind your alloys, top job

How tight were the tolerances to get the disk lined up with the caliper? Were both sides pretty similar?

On the inner face of the old disk, it doesn't look like the pad was sweeping to the edge of the disk.

Were the old disks lipped or scored?

If the fluid was in a similar condition to your disk's, then new fluid will have given a decent improvement to the bite.
There was no lip on the discs at all? The rears had a nice lip when i changed them.

I only used shims on the passenger side i didnt need any on the drivers side. The line up pretty bang on.
I did spend a while getting the passenger side setup but once you do one side the other side is a breeze.

I just needed to make sure that the disc was full in on the hub, i used the lug nuts to hold the disc in on its own.

The new brakes are a dream to compared to the standard ones. The more you use them the better they get.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
They look superb! How did you feel putting the wheels back on and hoping they didn't catch???

I was pretty confident that i wouldnt catch the wheels, but it was much closer than i thought!

You would need 20mm spacers with the standard alloys i would say.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Long time no post in here,

Havent done much in the way of upgrades but i am beginning to get the itch again.

I have picked up a Flashpro, uploaded the Group-N map.
Totally changed the sound of the HKS RSK and has increased my MPG

Mostly been cleaning or servicing the car,

Ghetto style lift

Sun came out

61 - 80 of 82 Posts