2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I noticed the noise from the cabin air blower changed and a few minutes later the windows had fogged up - no air was being blown into the cabin. There was also a hissing sound coming from the cabin filter so I had a look.

The filter was fine but when I put my hand inside the filter compartment I found a layer of frost has built up on the interior side (the side nearest the cabin) of the compartment. It was like what you'd find on the inside of a freezer.

The next day I drove for 15 minutes and checked again and it was all ok - air coming into cabin, no frost (but a little damp) on the filter compartment.

I checked with my mechanic and he hadn't come across or heard of this issue before.

The only thing I can think of is the air con fluid leaking, but I really have no idea about that.

The day it happened I had driven to a nearby mountain and back. It was damp and cold (but not freezing) and at an elevation of 500m.

Has anyone experienced this before?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Crikey; Cold around you?

The damp is rather concerning:- It will have to be water, either that has somehow entered the vents and made it to the cabin filter (It shouldn't!)

It wouldn't, to my mind, be refrigerant - At least, I wouldn't have thought so. r134a refrigerant has a boiling point of -26, so even if it was leaking, it shouldn't stick around to soak the filter.

More likely would be extremely high humidity, or an outright water leak:- It would be worth replacing the filter, and see if you can get a dehumidifier bag / tub for the car, and see if it draws out much moisture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
? it isn't really that cold but it was maybe 3 degrees that day, maybe the elevation played into it.

The car is definitely damp, fogs up easily. So I've ordered the replacement filter and the dehumidifier bags.

Thanks for the advice on it.

I'll update if there's any other issue but good to know it's probably not an air con leak

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Have you looked in the boot? (the spare wheel area). A lot seem to leak water there which goes undiscovered and leads to the car fogging up easily.

·
4,773 Posts
Have you checked the condensate outlet from the evaporator? (A puddle of water under the car)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have another look but never noticed any water under the car and boot was ok last time, thanks for the tips though guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts