2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have problems with frozen door handles this week? Could not get into drivers door and then when I got passenger door open handle would not return so door would not shut.

Stay in top floor flat so must be easier way than running up stairs and getting hot water!

Any ideas or are we all the same?

Jake

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Anyone else have problems with frozen door handles this week? Could not get into drivers door and then when I got passenger door open handle would not return so door would not shut.

Stay in top floor flat so must be easier way than running up stairs and getting hot water!

Any ideas or are we all the same?

Jake
It is often caused by the door seal rubbers sticking.

If you spray silicone spray on the rubber door seals it should stop them freezing. To avoid overspray you can wipe the silicone lubricant on to the rubber with a cloth.

Halfords | 3-IN-ONE Professional Silicone Spray Lubricant 400ml

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
It is often caused by the door seal rubbers sticking.

If you spray silicone spray on the rubber door seals it should stop them freezing. To avoid overspray you can wipe the silicone lubricant on to the rubber with a cloth.

Halfords | 3-IN-ONE Professional Silicone Spray Lubricant 400ml

It was my understanding that it's the OPs door handles that are frozen, not the door itself.

In which case, water could be getting into them somehow? Never heard of them freezing before.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was both but silicone spray getting put on today thanks for that. We had a bit of snow and then a freeze in the same night so seemed to have frozen handle mechanism. Once hot water was on it fine.

Never been above freezing for more than a hour in Bathgate past week as car park a mixture of snow and ice

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
Happened to me last week too mate. I was in a rush to just pulled really hard until it opened! :lol:

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
I remember I had to pee on the door locks of my XR2 once to thaw them out as the key just didn't want to go in.:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have the same problem too.
I still have not come up with the idea on how to solve it.
When the snow melts he enters the handles and it is very hard to press them.
What to applay on that water does not stay on them?

·
< User Title Goes Here >
632 Posts
Just wrap some black electrical tape round them over cold spells. It stops the water getting down in the triggery part of the doors and freezing.

Wrapping it round with some elctrical tape will stop the water getting in there but some tapers leaves some residue so i would leave it on for a week or so and change it.

Thats what I done but it hasnt been that cold since they froze

1 - 15 of 15 Posts