2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
i-Vtec
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else duffer really bad from frozen rear door handles? Mine are so bad the minute it gets to Zero C I don't even bother trying to open the rear doors. Its that bad that on the few occasion I've have opened the door the mech in the handle is so frozen it wont re-latch. What's the best solution, Silicone spray in the handle mech to displace the water? Maybe grease up the mech to stop the water getting in in the first place?

·
Super Moderator
2,248 Posts
i'd spray to clear, grease to stop it

haven't had that issue with the Si but then we are Southern jessies and don't do a proper winter.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well I pour over warm water , open doors windows etc , then close & drive about a bit and once the car is warmed up not an issue well until it's Parked and then it freezes again

I'm guessing deicer is no use?

·
Super Moderator
2,248 Posts
.........or you could just move South

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,419 Posts
Hair dryer when you have time to try and dry it out.

Take the back doors off till it warms up :)

Then bring them indoors for a warm 🥳

·
Super Moderator
2,498 Posts
if there freezing that bad and often then there is moisture of some sort in there either water or the lubricant used is freezing
i would try some sort of water dispersion spray to start with
i had it on my 8g but never that often and only when it got really cold once or twice
the front handles on my 9g open with a crack this last week or so in the mornings

·
i-Vtec
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if there freezing that bad and often then there is moisture of some sort in there either water or the lubricant used is freezing
i would try some sort of water dispersion spray to start with
i had it on my 8g but never that often and only when it got really cold once or twice
the front handles on my 9g open with a crack this last week or so in the mornings
Ive ordered WD40 Silicone spray and I think you can access the mech by taking off the triangle panel in the inside of the door so ill see if I can grease everything up. Its done it now the last 2 winters, its rather annoying. Surprised no one else having this issue.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,419 Posts
Is the WD40 silicone as good a water dispersal as normal WD40 ?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
@Das i have had the exact same on both my gen 8’s, must just be the climate we live in! Both handles felt like they’d broke when I tried to get in them last week but must have been the ice breaking...

Reactions: Das

·
Super Moderator
2,498 Posts
now das i think you put some sort of spell on us
was on late shift last night and were under pressure so stayed back till 2am
we had rain earlier in day and the temp dropped everything went solid
not only my car but the others that stayed in all doors windows frozen solid not what you want at 2am
when we got into cars and got out the car park i went to lock the gates
guess what the metal pegs frozen solid in the ground could not move them

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,419 Posts
Yiu'll have to leave the rear windows open and do a Dukes of Hazzard

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,419 Posts
@Das - maybe change the door handle :D