2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Undid the fuel cap the other day and the tether broke!
Looking closely it seems it has perished as there are cracks all along the length. A bit soon for a 56 plate car.
Anyone else had this problem?

I suppose the part will be about 50p, with £50 to fit it.
Or I'll have to buy a complete fuel cap assembly...probably £50.
Most likely i will repair it myself using some string.

Terry

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Mine always gets in the way i feel, often when its cold it seems to perish, seen as though the inside of the fuel cap has a holder for it i dont think its that neccessary

·
Registered
187 Posts
First car I've had with one, I think if mine breaks I'll either just continue using the holder in the fuel cap, or deal with it how I did my older cars - put the cap on the roof/pump while I refill :p.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
cap comes complete with tether, £22.87 from Lings [smilie=nod.gif] + Osbornes slice. (George, not Ozzy )

Regards

Dave
Typical of today's marketplace. If they can get the tether over a new cap then they should be able to supply a new tether.

I think I would take it off completely and leave as is.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
put the cap on the roof while I refill.
I always cringe when i see people doing this.
I hate the thought of getting petrol on my paintwork, whether it can do any damage or not.
In days gone by, i have seen people putting the cap on the roof, with keys still attached. :facepalm:
Thankfully i dont think modern petrol caps are made like this anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah, I've got an 06 2.2 cdti and mine has done exactly the same thing along with a whole other list of faults... once i find something to replace it with i'll be getting rid - more hassle (and cost) than it's worth!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I always cringe when i see people doing this.
I hate the thought of getting petrol on my paintwork, whether it can do any damage or not.
In days gone by, i have seen people putting the cap on the roof, with keys still attached. :facepalm:
Thankfully i dont think modern petrol caps are made like this anymore.
All the cars I've had have had a small dip, so if you put it upside down on the roof, the only place the petrol can gather is in the black 'cap' part :p.

Anyway, this one holds the cap in the flap part anyway so that won't happen ;).

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
All the cars I've had have had a small dip, so if you put it upside down on the roof, the only place the petrol can gather is in the black 'cap' part
Thats fine if you actually place it upside down, which is not the easiest thing to do considering you will be holding the part that needs to be placed down first.

Many years ago, some cars had locking caps with no flap, which meant you put the key in and turned 90° to enable removal of the cap.
The key was then locked into the cap until you put it back into the tank, with the result that some people would place the whole thing on the roof of their car...even if there was a bunch of keys attached. :eek:
It was a very poor design, and the lock was prone to seizing up.

I agree the Civic's design is very good. :D

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
It's the first car I've had with it. Hope mine never breaks. Long are the days of driving away with the petrol cap on your roof!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts