2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have found quite a few posts in relation to fuel caps not opening, but I have the opposite problem, it won't lock!

I needed to fill up yesterday, pull the latch in the foot well, opened fine, but when I went to close it, it simply wont close. It appears that the whole cover has moved slightly to the left, therefore the catch isn't locking it shut.

Checked a mates one, and his isn't as bad, but you can open his with your fingers without having to pull the lever.

Has anyone else experienced this, or got a fix?

Many thanks.

Jamie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problem with cover fuel tank

Hi,

I have found quite a few posts in relation to fuel caps not opening, but I have the opposite problem, it won't lock!

I needed to fill up yesterday, pull the latch in the foot well, opened fine, but when I went to close it, it simply wont close. It appears that the whole cover has moved slightly to the left, therefore the catch isn't locking it shut.

Checked a mates one, and his isn't as bad, but you can open his with your fingers without having to pull the lever.

Has anyone else experienced this, or got a fix?

Many thanks.

Jamie
Dear Jamie,

I have almost same problem like you with my Civic..I can open cover with fingers, without pulling the latch in the foot well, so it means that I can't lock it, and it drives me crazyyyyy....I tried to find some explanations for this, but ...and yes I've noticed that all cover is somehow moved in left like you said...don't have any idea what to do...

Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today i got the same problem...
The fuel cover don't stay locked. i can open it with my fingers. Again it looks like it somehow moved to left. it looks like the lock isn't long enough now. Again like the other member, if you push the whole silver cap fitting to the right, it locks.

Any solution?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I am having exactly the same problem and it does sound like a generic one...
One day when I arrived home I noticed that my fuel cap was ajar. I tried to close it but it was bouncing back. I didn't notice anything obvious that would prevent it from closing - the hook is fitted right, the lever works fine etc. I bent the black metal hook inside more to the right and I managed to close it without bouncing back, but I can still open it with my fingers without pulling the lever.
Kind of annoying, but if anybody has any idea of a quick fix please share.
I'd rather play with it myself than go to the dealer, as they charge gazillion £ for everything...

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
I had this problem last week, there is a springy metal bit that presses the tab in place to keep it closed. My tab had gone the wrong side of it. A bit of bending was all that was needed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The "springy metal bit" pushes against the wedge shape on the rear of the fuel flap to push it open as the rod slides back. I had the same problem as OP ie either the flap would not close or it could be opened using fingernails or a credit card (in the fuel station when it would not open!). On my car the whole flap was able to deform. I cured this by drilling a small hole and adding an allen headed bolt with a nut and washer holding the wedge shape tightly to the rest of the fuel flap. This has worked fine for at least a year.... A little lube on the wedge ensured it springs open when the latch is pulled inside the car and on closing it clicks shut with the edge very close to the bodywork, so that it would be very difficult to pry open.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
The "springy metal bit" pushes against the wedge shape on the rear of the fuel flap to push it open as the rod slides back. I had the same problem as OP ie either the flap would not close or it could be opened using fingernails or a credit card (in the fuel station when it would not open!). On my car the whole flap was able to deform. I cured this by drilling a small hole and adding an allen headed bolt with a nut and washer holding the wedge shape tightly to the rest of the fuel flap. This has worked fine for at least a year.... A little lube on the wedge ensured it springs open when the latch is pulled inside the car and on closing it clicks shut with the edge very close to the bodywork, so that it would be very difficult to pry open.
got a picture of how you have done it?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
This has happened to mine. I bent the bit of metal that I think holds it shut and it now closes tightly but I can open it with my finger with a bit of effort.

Anything else I can do ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts