2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get petrol this afternoon and my fuel cap won't open without someone shaking the fuel cap while I pull the level in the footwell.

Does anyone know a fix for this before I contact my local dealer?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
How old is the car? Early models had a recall where a spring was fitted to help flick the cover open. Might be yours was never done.

Or it could be the spring has broken the part # is PFKL801997 and is £1.43 ex vat

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is the car? Early models had a recall where a spring was fitted to help flick the cover open.

Might be yours was never done.

Thanks

2007 with nearly 90k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Its going in next week. They had did recalls on the car when it was during the summer. They checked the engines wiring loom.

The petrol cap has been playing up for a while now.

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
I had this problem just got a spoon end with cloth to protect the paint and poped it open. The black catch attached to the fuel cap its self i just pulled alittle back so bend it towards the front of the car and i havent had a problem since, that was nerly a year ago

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my civic that fuel cap would take around 15 attempts to open and the problem was getting worse.

I then found out via Wiki link that this is a common problem.
Fuel filler cap fails to open - Civinfo Wiki

I checked my civic and found that on mine it did not have the small bulldog clip. I rang my local Honda dealer as it should have been replaced under warranty when it was serviced (previous owner had fully serviced from Honda). They booked me in for a 30 min slot but wanted to charge me £60 to have a look at it. :(

When I arrived at the Honda dealer I spoke to the service manager and handed him with a print out of the Wiki link - Fuel Filler cap fails to open. Told him that it was a common fault and he said that on my car it had no warranty work outstanding! It was either £60 + the cost of the part and they would have charged £20 labour just to fit the small bull dog clip. :mad2:

Told him just to provide the small bulldog clip, which cost me a couple of quid, got home and fitted myself by following the instructions on the Wiki link and it was a piece of cake.

Now my fuel cap opens every time and at the first attempt. :p

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honda fixed it for free. Problem with the spring

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try stretching the spring, that's what Honda did.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had to wedge a card into the cap and pull the level this morning. Only worked once.

Stoney don't know.

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_274 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Push it towards the button release. To the right. Going to order a new one.

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_274 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the part, £2.40.

Part number: 74494-smg-E00

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,165 Posts
Last year when I was getting a service at Bristol Honda (Brislington), I mentioned it to the guy on reception. He wandered out with me coz he knew how to fix it. Took him 2 seconds. Literally.
He just squeezed the 'bulldog clip' in a bit using forefinger and thumb. Never ever failed since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts