2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 570 Posts

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled mine up this morning, only the 3rd time and the fuel cap was stuck, no amount of pulling the lever would release it, end up lodging a bic biro cap in and trying to open it, worked though.

Anyone else had this problem or know of solution?

Richierich

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Yep - there's a dealer note about it. Involves fitting some foam - it's to do with the cable from the lever

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
basegreen said:
Yep - there's a dealer note about it. Involves fitting some foam - it's to do with the cable from the lever
I read somewhere that the cable was too long. So that when you pulled/pushed the release, it would just pull on the cable and nothing would happen.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So its a known problem that the dealer should take care of if asked?

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Yes it is. You might want to check your rear shocks as well.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Yes the dealer has to rectify it and any other problem you encounter, take it back and cause havoc 8)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're 60 miles away, can it go back to any dealer? I will pen them an email just in case, god I bet they hate me. I left the dealer on the day I picked it up with a 12 point list of things I wanted them to rectify.

Oh well, customer knows best.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Im sure the Honda warranty should cover you for any dealership. call them and ask.

Don't worry about complaining my car went back about 7 times, about to get a replacement car - im sure when they hear my name at the dealership they cringe :lol:

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
An irritating problem that one! (luckily having a diesel I don't fill up as much as my old CTR).
The fault lies in the flap not the cable, I've had the foam fitted which was great for about 6 months but now it's probably squashed and doesn't help.
Just need to get the next fix sorted ...????????????

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem.

The dealer fitted some foam which lasted till the next time i had to refill :-(

now i get a new filler cap :)

I don´t think that this foam bit is a long term solution...

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its funny, cos mine hasn't done it since I posted this. I bet it will the next time I fill up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
how long should this take to rectify?? do they do it while you wait or do you have to book it in?
if you have to book it in do they give you a courtesy car? i cant remember lol.

·
您看了
456 Posts
Better question... anyone got a photo of their "foam" in place?

Mine did this for the first time this morning (so thinking it can also happen as the cable ages and stretches) so interested in "foaming up" but not sure I can be bothered to sit around in a dealership while they do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The foam is a joke.

It is on my car a small black strip about 1cm wide and 5cm long on the plastic arm of the cap.

It is this strang soft sort of molding into shape foam and lasted on my car for about 2 weeks.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was considering doing it myself with a but of draft excluder foam or something, I am guessing that it just needs sticking to the side where it clips locked to keep strain on the cable, but in my mind this could justs make the problem worse, if you need to force the cap closed then is the cable more likely to stretch, before you know it the foam required will make the filler cap stick out like the rear light cluster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fuel Filler Flap - Something Else To Check

Fuel Filler Cap failed to open at a petrol station for the first time the other day. Fortunately I had a passenger who was able to operate the cap release lever whilst I prised open the cap with my fingers.

On returning home, further investigation revealed that the rubber retaining strap attached to the plastic petrol cap had become trapped behind the Fuel Filler Flap on the hinge side and was distorting the door just enough to not allow it to release, this was despite the fact that the release cable was retracting the release pin fully. To ensure that the strap does not get trapped push it to towards the central groove in the hinge as you close the door. Since adopting this proceedure this has not happened again to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Thought my cap failed this morning but on checking I realised that the bonnet had opened!!!

Sounds daft but that was not my requirement at the time.

Maybe that it what is happening to those who fail to get the flap opening first time?

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Thought my cap failed this morning but on checking I realised that the bonnet had opened!!!

Sounds daft but that was not my requirement at the time.

Maybe that it what is happening to those who fail to get the flap opening first time?
I did that a couple of times when I first got the car; on both times I realised what I'd done. Once I embarrasingly just shut the bonnet, the 2nd time I opened the fuel, filled it up then looked "knowingly" in to the bonnet for a few minutes before shutting it and leaving.

1 - 20 of 570 Posts