2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the spring fitted to my fuel filler - not happy at all.
Garage chipped over 1inch of paint round the fuel cap and then painted it without telling me ! Luckely I spotted it before driving away and they've agreed to repair it.

Also the fuel filler cap is now sitting prowd of the body work so they're going to sort that as well.

Just a warning to other who need to have this fix carried out on their car.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Don't drop it, it's happening to alot of Civic owners. Go after them! Write to the MD (Special Delivery), threaten legal action and involve Honda UK - above all persevere! I did and got £300 worth of free accessories.

The have effectively vandalised your car!

See here for more info on my case: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3359

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
DIY fix...

Sorry to hear that Moff, I picked up my year old demo S.diesel last week and guess what? It had the dreaded cap problem. What I have done is do my own mod, with a little licence from Honda.
Copied their spring add-on mod and made it from an old credit card. It can be folded to the correct angle with a little heat and it retains the shape. Have had it fitted over a week now, and it still pops open first time every time.

Hope enclosed pics gives an idea of the thing, it fixes by sliding under the hi-torx screw.

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow, that is really ingenious Sandozer!

I'd get your dealer to fix it the "proper" way though, It should be fixed in warranty, for free

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Sorry to hear that Moff, I picked up my year old demo S.diesel last week and guess what? It had the dreaded cap problem. What I have done is do my own mod, with a little licence from Honda.
Copied their spring add-on mod and made it from an old credit card. It can be folded to the correct angle with a little heat and it retains the shape. Have had it fitted over a week now, and it still pops open first time every time.

Hope enclosed pics gives an idea of the thing, it fixes by sliding under the hi-torx screw.

Ian
Gives a new meaning to "your flexible friend".well done.:)

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Just had the spring fitted to my fuel filler - not happy at all.
Garage chipped over 1inch of paint round the fuel cap and then painted it without telling me ! Luckely I spotted it before driving away and they've agreed to repair it.

Also the fuel filler cap is now sitting prowd of the body work so they're going to sort that as well.

Just a warning to other who need to have this fix carried out on their car.
That seems very strange as they only have to remove a screw and refit it.
Are you sure they never changed the whole fuel flap? The cause of many damaged cars and why held off til they'd mastered it or had a simple fix.
At least they've agreed to fix it.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Flexi-cap-fix.....

Kremmen, sorry have not mentioned any dimensions, ill try and remove, measure it, later today and post some pics again.
Ian

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I've been meaning to post this up for ages, but forgot! :oops:

From Pottys' earlier post, he confirmed that there is nothing being held on underneath by this torx screw :)

So - what's it there for?

Unless the original design had a spring in place...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I pick up my new 2.2iCDTi tomorrow and want to know what to look for. How do the problems manifest themselves?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
essentially what you want to look for is:

open the fuel filler cap - if it doesn't open, you've got a problem straight away!

inside the cap area, towards the rear of the car, is what looks like a short pin - this is the thing that hold the cap shut.

under the pin, there is a bolt head.

ideally attached to this there will be a sprung clip (check in the thread above this for a picture)
This 'spring' (it's a small piece of bendy metal) helps the cap flip open.
But until recently, it's not been there.

Whilst not everyone has had problems with the caps sticking, a large number of people have - and it's something which seems to get worse over time.

Initially mine was fine - by the time it was fixed I'd actually broken the lever inside the car whilst trying to get it to open :(

If it's not there - don't panic - but make sure it's ordered for you. Takes about 10 mins to fit :)

PS - make sure they check and order the clip / spring fix - it's quite recent, and some dealers haven't heard of it.
The previous 'fix' was to replace the whole cap assembly.
Which a) didn't always help, and b) several owners have had the paintwork scratched when this has been done :(

The spring clip fix doesn't risk any paint damage :)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Cheers!

Copied ready for June!

Now what can I do with all these dusters?

"I'd like to die making love, saying " I'm going, I'm going".!"

Charles H.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Credit card Fuel Cap opener mod...

Kremmen,

Here are a few pics again to assist making one..

Dimensions... on the angle you can see from pic long side 26mm, short side20mm. width 25mm. Slot for Torx 8mm. Rest you can hack I`m sure.
Angle is important when you get the bend (aplying heat).

Was at my Honda dealers today asking about the proper fix, and was told there is a shortage of springs... :rolleyes: Dont hold your breath...

This works for me folks, and its so easy. ;)

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks a lot!

Now I'd just have to find a credit card to cut... maybe my girlfriends? she never seems to use hers anyway ;)

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,172 Posts
mines been on order over aweek now. still waiting for the phone call! when they ring im going to tell them its broke down....run out of fuel and couldnt get the cap open!

·
Registered
2 Posts
fuel cap problem

Hi just joined site Any ideas how to refuel with cap stuck or is ultmate to use big hammer & chisel only kiddimg but only have had 2006 ES civic one week having 2nd thoughts about model after having PASSATT for several years without any problems Any assistance would be appreciated ,

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
hi Ben

it can be a real pain, especially if you are in the car by yourself and have to get out each time to see if it's opened...

trick is to listen very carefully - if it opens you can hear a slight thunk.

ultimately, until it's fixed, it's just a question of trying and trying and trying.
pulling slowly seems to work best.

but it will open eventually!

If you do have a passenger, get them to use a credit card or something under the edge of the flap, to help it open as you pull the lever :)

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
The old fix was to replace the whole unit which is where the damage has been caused in the past. Honda have seemed to click at last that the problem is with the spring, which has been fitted recently, quick and easy no damage.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts