2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem with the non-opening of the fuel filler is well known, but I have found another design "feature" that I find annoying, and so I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem:
When filling for only the second time, as I removed the nozzle I knocked the filler cap off it's mooring on the filler flap. It dropped down but didn't go anywhere becasue of the tether. I replaced the nozzle, fitted the filler and closed the cap. No problem.
The next day I noticed a small dent underneath the filler, and as the filler flap had just been modified/replaced I assumed the service chaps had done it. But thinking back perhaps it was the filler cap when it dropped.
On my 2002 Civic the cap fitted to the bottom edge of the flap, below the filler nozzle, so it was very difficult (if not impossible) to knock it off while filling.
To me it seems the styling to make the filler a design feature Instead of trying to hide it by having a flat body coloured flap) has overtaken the real world use of the filler:
The filler flap does not have a detent to hold it in the fully open position. It was windy when I was filling, and perhaps I didn't notice the filler had moved.
The cap storage is to the top of the flap, not the bottom.
The fact that a dent has been made shows there is not much strength in the sheet metal in that area. I would have prefered a small indent in the paint to the dent I have at the moment if the metal was stronger.

Anyone else found the same?

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Yer i third that style over fuction like a few bif of the cars got the show but not the usefull bits.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
I Don't have any probem, or see any problem with fuel filler car, in fact i feel it better than the one on my previous cars (307 and Corsa)... You dont need to remove your keys to fill up ! you've just to think about shuting down your engine :)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
...maybe in your country! But here in the UK I wouldn't dream of leaving my keys in my car while filling up, the thieves would drive off with me still hanging on the fuel pump!!! :)

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
That's the case here too... but I'm living in a country side :D where you still can let your door open and say hello to your neighbour ! But you're right, When i go to the big city and if Mrs Noël is not with me, i remove the key.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
In the 6 months i've had the Civic,I hav'nt had any problems or concerns filling the fuel tank.Never seemed dramatically different for me.

A refill every 3 weeks is a bonus too-my previous diesel Alfa was getting through a (bigger) tankfull every 2.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
The problem with the non-opening of the fuel filler is well known, but I have found another design "feature" that I find annoying, and so I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem:
When filling for only the second time, as I removed the nozzle I knocked the filler cap off it's mooring on the filler flap. It dropped down but didn't go anywhere becasue of the tether. I replaced the nozzle, fitted the filler and closed the cap. No problem.
The next day I noticed a small dent underneath the filler, and as the filler flap had just been modified/replaced I assumed the service chaps had done it. But thinking back perhaps it was the filler cap when it dropped.
On my 2002 Civic the cap fitted to the bottom edge of the flap, below the filler nozzle, so it was very difficult (if not impossible) to knock it off while filling.
To me it seems the styling to make the filler a design feature Instead of trying to hide it by having a flat body coloured flap) has overtaken the real world use of the filler:
The filler flap does not have a detent to hold it in the fully open position. It was windy when I was filling, and perhaps I didn't notice the filler had moved.
The cap storage is to the top of the flap, not the bottom.
The fact that a dent has been made shows there is not much strength in the sheet metal in that area. I would have prefered a small indent in the paint to the dent I have at the moment if the metal was stronger.

Anyone else found the same?
AFAIK the Civic project included a "real" rally-type filler door as well as things such as sensor fields for opening the doors and many other nice features- some fell victim to the law requirements and others to the economy "optimizers" on the car's way to the market. Such is life :( other brands are doing the same thing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts