2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to finishing the dreaded fuel filter change..what a fart of a job that is, but i will absolutely recommend that anybody thinking of doing this gets on with it because this has transformed my R . Im pretty sure looking at clips and fittings and the general state of it that this is the original filter that has done 118000 miles anyway getting to the thing is fairly straight forward but actually getting it out of the tank is a pain still once out it is quite an easy job if you take your time, there are several o rings to change and I found a smear of engine oil on these made them slide home a doddle.The tea bag filter on the pump was black with dirt so I cleaned this with brake cleaner and rinsed in clean petrol several times until it was clean, wipe out the white plastic bowl it all sits in at the same time as its surprising how much muck is in the bottom of that as well.As I said changing this filter has made a world of difference the car revs smoother, it idles smoother, and when driving all the hesitation and jerkiness at 2500-3000 rpm has vanished and the pick when accelerating is now instant.what a difference.

·
i-Vtec
4,667 Posts
Do you not get a new "Teabag" filter with the new assembly? I though the new filter/pump unit came with a new one?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have a browse of the how to on this forum but in the end just followed my nose as it were and no the tea bag filter does not come with the filter assembly at least not with the one I had.. but I believe if you buy a new electric fuel pump the teabag is part of the kit that comes with that..I did enquire at cox's honda but was told that the teabag is not available separately..however they are available on american ebay for a few quid but delivery is quite expensive..just to point out its not a filter/pump unit what you get for your 50 odd quid is just the filter and fittings everything else, the fuel pump,pressure regulator etc you need to swap over from the old filter body

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one thing i forgot to mention is the fuel filter is located between the front seats under the centre console not under the rear seat as you tube videos suggest.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Op,

Did you buy a new Gen honda fuel filter from cox etc? Or just take old one out drain and clean?

I remember seeing in my honda service details they state to 'drain fuel filter' at regular milage intervals, but its not been done once in 90k miles on mine i dont think

Is it possible to just take old one out and clean all the crap out or is new one needed?

Thx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi Leet74 I actually bought a blue print fuel filter off Fleabay and to be fair it was very good quality and an exact copy of the one I took out.As for cleaning the old one out or draining it I wouldn't bother if your going to the hassle of getting it out, which is a faff, you may as well fit a new one, as stated mine had done 118000 miles and from looking at the state of it im sure it was the original, the tea bag filter was full,and I mean full, of black crap plus all the rubber o rings were very hard and would not have done their job for much longer.Taking the console out and getting to the thing is a pain but not difficult and as i said the difference in the car was night and day.good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used a blue print filter..well respected oe parts suppliers for all cars lapanese I managed to find someone selling one they didn't need for just over £20 but new there £30-35ish cox honda want about £60 depends if you want genuine I had no problems with the blueprint one, fitted a treat

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi

Im a little baffled by these honda fuel filters...

What part exactly filters the fuel? As the 'pillow / cushion filter' attached to the fuel pump doesnt come with the kit? And they cant be bought apparently...

Thanks

·
i-Vtec
4,667 Posts
Hi

Im a little baffled by these honda fuel filters...

What part exactly filters the fuel? As the 'pillow / cushion filter' attached to the fuel pump doesnt come with the kit? And they cant be bought apparently...

Thanks
There is filtration inside the big white plastic part that gets changed over. From what ive seen on youtube when you do the change take the teabag off and clean it through with a can of brake cleaner or clean it out like a sponge in some clean petrol. Apparently you can buy them new from the USA.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does anyone have a part number for the teabag? Seems a shame not to install a new one if spending 45 mins accessing the white plastic housing unit.
Is this the correct part for 8G 1.8L petrol, right?

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
That bit doesn't come separately.
There used to be some out there in the US but seem to have disappeared from UK.
It is there to collect the big bits in the fuel and so just needs a brush down.
You can remove it from the fuel pump by levering off the small spring washer holding it on and then flush out with clean petrol, brake cleaner or similar.

I got mine from Tegiwa, genuine Honda and a full kit of parts GENUINE HONDA FUEL FILTER CIVIC FN2 TYPE R K20Z & TYPE S R18

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Tegiwa one is almost twice the price of the eBay ones. Wonder if it's the same or superior quality. I'm going to decide which one to order tomorrow. (If anyone has had success with the eBay one let me know!)

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
The Teg one is genuine Honda.
You know it will fit and there have been reports on here of issues using cheap alternatives.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I really need to get around to fitting mine...

Bought the OEM filter and a scrap outer so I can just drop it in when my tank runs dry and I have some spare time to fit it!!

·
Registered
Milano Red Fn2
462 Posts
Deffo a job I want to get done on my Fn2, she’s at 133,000 now and no mention of a filter change in the service book. Honda charge £175 for it doing from their fixed price service menu, sounds a bit expensive but I’m not keen on the idea of messing about in the fuel system and removing half my interior 😂 would an Indy work out cheaper or should I let them do it?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It isn't too hard by the looks of things.

There's video step by step guides, dunno if one needs a filter turning tool but some have used just screwdrivers etc to turn the filter pot.

Just make sure to do it when the tank is nearly dry otherwise it can get messy and dangerous if you're a smoker :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Deffo a job I want to get done on my Fn2, she’s at 133,000 now and no mention of a filter change in the service book. Honda charge £175 for it doing from their fixed price service menu, sounds a bit expensive but I’m not keen on the idea of messing about in the fuel system and removing half my interior 😂 would an Indy work out cheaper or should I let them do it?
if you didn't live in the frozen North you could drive to mine and I'd do it for you.
it really is an easy job if you have the tool to get the locking ring off/on.
i've done both of ours this year

·
Registered
Milano Red Fn2
462 Posts
Thanks for the offer @Wilmo 👍🏻 Going to have a word with my mechanic see how much he reckons, next up after that exhaust valve clearances

1 - 20 of 32 Posts