2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago I purchased a 2 year service plan for my 2013 1.6 diesel. It included a major and minor service where I was told that everything would be included. When the car was in for its 5 years major service I received a telephone call saying that I need a replacement fuel filter that I would need to pay for. Am I misunderstand something? Would it not be reasonable to expect the fuel filter to be included in the service plan?

My other concern is that the filter had never been replaced. I bought the car from Honda days after it had its third service. All the services had been done at the same dealership. The manual says that it should have been replaced at 2 years another dealership said 3 years. What is correct and where do I go with this?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Are you getting the oil filter and fuel filter mixed up?

Normally the fuel filter is change when needed item, or very late, like 5 years or 75k/100k miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I had my 63 plate 1.6 diesel on a lease through Lex Honda, I had servicing included and IIRC the fuel filter was to be changed every 37.5 k miles. I had the car for 84 k miles so in theory it should have had two fuel filters, whether they actually changed it was another matter as all paperwork went directly to Lex (saying that, the 37.5k and especially the 75k service did take much longer). I used to check stuff I could after a service as dealer or not, I don't trust them (leaving some wheel nuts loose on one occasion etc.)!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car is the same. It says replace every 18,750 miles or 2 years. Is there any reason this wouldn't be classed as a service item and therefore why I wouldn't expect it to be included with a service plan?

Either way, the car has improved markedly with it...although it may also be due to the oil, oil filter and air filter change as well.

·
i-Vtec
2,615 Posts
If the service manual says it needs done every two years id go with that, so yes a Fuel filter should have been changed as part of the last this service or at the very least this one. I dont know why people continue to sing the praises of main dealers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My car is the same. It says replace every 18,750 miles or 2 years. Is there any reason this wouldn't be classed as a service item and therefore why I wouldn't expect it to be included with a service plan?

Either way, the car has improved markedly with it...although it may also be due to the oil, oil filter and air filter change as well.
18,750 is too soon, If memory serves, the Honda service manual said something like 25k for the fuel filter (diesel), and there was a little asterix (*) next to this, and at the bottom of the page against the * it said for the 1.6 i-DTEC the fuel filter change was every 37.5 k miles/ 3 years, so presumably the 25k interval was for the 2.2. Presumably, you have the service manual for the car as this should give a definitive answer, but if in doubt change it I guess.

·
Registered
871 Posts
That manual page is not for European models, European models have a separate service book

1.6 iDTEC fuel filter is replaced @ 37500 miles or 36 months

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fuel filters aren't included in any normal or major service. You need to pay separately for those. I think it was around £140 if your fuel filter is in the tank (and something like £70 if it's outside the tank). Since you have a diesel I'm guessing it's outside the tank. Usually it should be easy to find and do yourself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the one that came with the car. Why would they issue non European books to a European country?

·
Registered
871 Posts
That's the one that came with the car. Why would they issue non European books to a European country?

Because the main Owner manual covers more than just European models, European models also get a separate service book which details European warranty and service schedules. European models can also be using the Service reminder system where service items are carried out at variable timing depending on driving style/types.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fuel filters aren't included in any normal or major service. You need to pay separately for those. I think it was around £140 if your fuel filter is in the tank (and something like £70 if it's outside the tank). Since you have a diesel I'm guessing it's outside the tank. Usually it should be easy to find and do yourself.
Is this normal or just with Honda? I saw a Halfords service plan of all places. They included the fuel filter as part of the service. Is it not considered important enough to include it with routine servicing?

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's normal. I just took a look at Halfords services too. They only check and report that it's time to change your fuel filter; they don't actually replace it in their major service either. If yours is definitely outside the fuel tank, you should get it done. If it's inside, I think most people just let it run till it dies (those ones last long) and then they change the entire fuel filter/pump assembly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My local dealer said at 75,000 miles or 5 years the fuel filter needs changing, the car also asked for the filter. The dealer said every 37,5000 miles and that agrees with the car and the service schedule. I have just booked my car in for this service and they seemed very competent and concerned to do the right thing. So far I'm impressed and I'll report back on another thread if I remain so :) My first time using a main dealer in 20+ years after a Renault dealer attempted to rip me off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I contacted Honda technical who told me that it should have been replaced at 3 years. I then contacted Honda Bradford via facebook who immediately refunded the cost of the fuel filter. They sure no how to gain loyalty!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts