2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic MK9 2015 Facelift 1.6 I-DTEC
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Does anyone know or is there a guide on how to access or change the fuel filter for a 9G Facelift 1.6 I-DTEC?
Also, how often should I change it?

Many Thanks,
J

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's a tricky job unless you've got a lift

My mate who did mine said removing the undertray AND the plastic shroud as well gave enough room for it to be reasonably straightforward, although he is a very experienced mechanic.

Possibly removing the oil filter will make things easier as well so you might want to consider an oil change whilst you're doing the fuel filter.

I changed mine at around 50k miles although I dont think it's due until 60k or maybe 75k, I can't remember. I expect to have sold the car by 100k miles so felt changing the filter half way through my ownership would be about right

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Diesel fuel filter is every 25k - except 2012 model which for some reason is every 37.5k.

Access is a pain but removing the large plastic undertray won't make it much easier for the effort involved removing it. All I did was remove the metal shroud around the oil filter. Unplug the moisture sensor and unclip the cable holder from the filter. Remove the 2 x mounting bolts. Flip the filter upside down - if you don't have giant hands you can get your right hand through a gap between the bulkhead and plastic tray which allows you to loosen the fuel line clips up the pipes and then grab filter whilst your left hand pulls/pushes the pipes off.

Tip: Don't forget to replace the O ring on the moisture sensor. No prime bulb like on 8th Gen - after replacement the car will usually start 1st time and die. Will then require cranking for around 30 seconds before it will start. I have CJ autos adjustable ramps which get the car quite a bit higher than most long arm jacks - not to mention safer.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Helmet Automotive fuel system Tread

Hand Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Honda Civic MK9 2015 Facelift 1.6 I-DTEC
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diesel fuel filter is every 25k - except 2012 model which for some reason is every 37.5k.

Access is a pain but removing the large plastic undertray won't make it much easier for the effort involved removing it. All I did was remove the metal shroud around the oil filter. Unplug the moisture sensor and unclip the cable holder from the filter. Remove the 2 x mounting bolts. Flip the filter upside down - if you don't have giant hands you can get your right hand through a gap between the bulkhead and plastic tray which allows you to loosen the fuel line clips up the pipes and then grab filter whilst your left hand pulls/pushes the pipes off.

Tip: Don't forget to replace the O ring on the moisture sensor. No prime bulb like on 8th Gen - after replacement the car will usually start 1st time and die. Will then require cranking for around 30 seconds before it will start. I have CJ autos adjustable ramps which get the car quite a bit higher than most long arm jacks - not to mention safer.

View attachment 320869

View attachment 320870

View attachment 320871
Wow, that is really helpful. Thanks for posting up the instructions and pictures.
Where do I get this moisture o ring?

J

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
3,309 Posts
Going to give mine a go next service. Doesn't look as bad a job as I'd originally thought. I'm on 115K and it has never been changed. Mine has the priming bulb under the passenger floor mat so shouldn't be too difficult a job.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Wow, that is really helpful. Thanks for posting up the instructions and pictures.
Where do I get this moisture o ring?

J
O-ring usually comes with a new filter. I used a genuine Honda one and the O ring was wedged in the hole you screw the moisture filter in. However, as you can see in the picture the genuine filter is made by Mahle - P/N: KL 764D. If I'd known I'd of probably bought a Blueprint ADH22349 instead - I rate their parts better and can often obtain them a lot cheaper when searching by part number instead of "Honda Civic Fuel Filter" etc.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Going to give mine a go next service. Doesn't look as bad a job as I'd originally thought. I'm on 115K and it has never been changed. Mine has the priming bulb under the passenger floor mat so shouldn't be too difficult a job.
Assuming yours is a 2.2 engine then? Unfortunately I don't have any tech \ service manuals for this car yet so have tackled everything so far using previous experience and common sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Two quick questions on the filter replacement on the 1.6 Euro 6 model.
1. When removing the two fuel lines from the old filter, I guess that the fuel is under pressure and then it will spill all over the place?
2. Mine doesn't have a primer so should I fill the filter with diesel before installing it?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
1. I doubt it will remain pressurised, my Honda isn't a diesel but my Freelander 2 is & that was definitely not still pressurised when I changed the filter earlier this year.
2. To prime the filter in the LR I used a suction pump to draw the fuel through the system (using the return (to tank) port on the filter) worked a treat (y)

Hopefully others with a diesel Civic will be able to give more precise advice

·
Registered
22 Posts
Been a silent reader of the forum. Excellent contributions from everyone. Just wanted an opinion from the forum members about the idea of re-locating the fuel filter to a more accessible place. Would this have any affect on the running of the car. Just wondered why no one has considered this . Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Back in the day you used to be able to buy filter relocation kits for old cars so I guess its possible but I also suspect that for most owners its a once or twice in their ownership lifetime so its possibly not worth the bother

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the reply Ben1974. If you find a relocation kit . Please post up.
Since my HRV as a Honda Extended Warranty (due to end soon)my car is serviced with Honda. Just read lots of people saying for the hassle and access issues they would rather not bother. I have noticed changing the diesel filter every 10K miles makes a difference to the driveability of the car and improves on MPG. Anyone else notice this? I use COSTCO fuel only.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm running Shell V-Power diesel in my 1.6 but only because I use it for work and I get a mileage allowance but have yet to do any servicing work as I've only had the car 2 months from Arnold Clark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have very recently done the filter replacement in MY15 Euro 6 and I would like to highlight some recommendations:

1. Make sure you have a good battery cause you will have to prime for at least a minute.
2. When removing the tubes from the filter, make sure not to stand underneath; the system isn't pressurized but some fuel will spill for sure.
3. The filter is hold in place with 2 x 10mm bolts and you need a long and thin hex socket cause there is limited space. My usual wrench wasn't fitting and I had to improvise (see attached photo)
4. Accessing from the front and rear hatch at the same time to remove the tubes was easier for me

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts