2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2007 petrol 1.8 Civic, I have a nagging problem with my fuel door not staying shut especially when you shut the tailgate or doors. I’ve got an MOT due in a week or two so don’t really want any advisories.
Does anybody know if the flap mechanism can be adjusted from the point of view of the flap being more flush with the bodywork when closed rather than protruding out as shown in these pictures, I don't think it's anything to do with the cable release because that appears to be sturdily mounted and not loose. The cable release lever in the driver’s footwell feels normal, no slack etc. You can open the door flap with your fingertips which isn't ideal.
Thanks for reading...
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Fender

Automotive tire Rim Alloy wheel Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Helmet Automotive design

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Release spring? I'm guessing that's the pin on the RHS of the picture that opens the door when pulled back. It doesn't look squashed and retracts flush with the housing. my main concern is the fact the flap (in silver colour) sits proud of the bodywork which it never did before.

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
380 Posts
Release spring? I'm guessing that's the pin on the RHS of the picture that opens the door when pulled back. It doesn't look squashed and retracts flush with the housing. my main concern is the fact the flap (in silver colour) sits proud of the bodywork which it never did before.
It looks to me like the spring is passing the wrong side of the catch. See attached the alignment of mine.
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Rim

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, my spring metal guide I guess you can call it looks in a slightly different position to yours, although it doesn't move but will "spring" left & right under finger pressure. I still think if I can "push" and realign the flap closer home towards filler cap it will engage with the release pin. I'll have to see how it's all put together when this heatwave goes away.

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
380 Posts
Thanks, my spring metal guide I guess you can call it looks in a slightly different position to yours, although it doesn't move but will "spring" left & right under finger pressure. I still think if I can "push" and realign the flap closer home towards filler cap it will engage with the release pin. I'll have to see how it's all put together when this heatwave goes away.
It's just a single torx head screw. I believe you can buy the spring from Honda separately if you find yours won't respond to "gentle persuasion". I did find I had to bend mine a little to make it fit perfectly when I first bought it, I just pushed it until it stayed where I wanted.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's fixed:cool: I put some pressure on the spring vertical section i.e. the bit held by the Torx and bent it slightly to the left and it now holds closed when shutting the tailgate (the air pressure was enough to blow the flap open when doing this.) The flap now operates normally when pulling the release lever. I'm assuming the flap's straight edge profile as it shuts pushes tight up against the spring and keeps a better alignment with the release pin holding it shut so I will keep an eye on it to see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My fuel flap doesn't lock and just opens regardless. Although the fuel cap release lever does make it pop open.

I tinkered with the aforementioned metal flap but it doesn't seem to have done anything... Is there anything else I can check or fiddle with?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts