2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Obsessive Modder
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably clutching at straws here; but is there any way to calibrate the fuel gauge?

I don't know whether this is the same with everybody but whenever I fill up with fuel, my fuel gauge shows full for probably 70 (only get 350 miles a tank) miles before moving off full, and then as soon as it come off full it descends a lot quicker over the next few miles.

I just wondered if there was a way to calibrate or reset it so that I dont feel terrible when the gauge comes off the full mark lol!

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Mine's the same. Can go 60 miles before the gauge moves off full then drops quickly.
I just put it down to a "feature" of the car. :)

·
DervDemon
204 Posts
Think all cars are the same pretty much - the guage sender is in the tank & can only monitor the amount of fuel in the tank - if you brim the car there is obviously a quantity of fuel in the filler which it can't measure

·
Obsessive Modder
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
glad to see i'm not the only one with this :)

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Yeah my car does the same. Like said above, I think if you brim it there is always gonna be a few litres extra that's already in the syst that the gauge can't measure.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I've had my 2009 2.2 CTS gt for couple weeks and noticed that the gauge stays full for ages.
I picked car up on the Wednesday night, it had enough fuel to get me home and to work next day, brimmed fuel tank on the Thursday and travelled up Scotland on the Friday, thought fuel gauge was broken as I'd done about 100miles and needle didn't seem to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I have the 2.2 diesel and mine is the same, usually get 80-90 miles before it moves - am sure it is down to the amount fuel in the pipe leading down to the tank - this is several litres.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I read somewhere on the forum that you shouldn't fill it past the 1st click on the nozzle, has anyone else seen or heard anything about that?

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
have had mine for 5 years/80,000 miles and always fill to the brim. Have heard on other cars to stop at first click but not on the civic.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
have had mine for 5 years/80,000 miles and always fill to the brim. Have heard on other cars to stop at first click but not on the civic.
I had 2005 2.0 tdci focus before the Civic and always brimmed that to the nearest full £ and never had any issues.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I usually fill up past the first click but when doing so on the Civic the fuel came rushing out of the tank. That wasn't fun.

·
Obsessive Modder
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I usually fill up past the first click but when doing so on the Civic the fuel came rushing out of the tank. That wasn't fun.
I found that too! suppose at least its full when its meant to be :)

·
Gaz
686 Posts
Mine is exaclty the same... Infact just passed 80miles on this tank and the gauge has dropped :(

On Another note, I generally go past the 1st 2 clicks, then stop. On my previous car, i did have an episode at an asda pump were i was convinced it was leaking, infact it was my fault and fuel was spewing back out of the car! I must of watsed about £2 on the floor! :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Mine is exaclty the same... Infact just passed 80miles on this tank and the gauge has dropped :(

On Another note, I generally go past the 1st 2 clicks, then stop. On my previous car, i did have an episode at an asda pump were i was convinced it was leaking, infact it was my fault and fuel was spewing back out of the car! I must of watsed about £2 on the floor! :facepalm:
When i was 16, i drove with a 25 year old camino. I had to fill it with a handpump. I stood there pumping and looking at a lady in the shop. The thing was overflowing like hell and running onto the hot engine. When i noticed, it was too late and there i stood in a massive blueish white cloud.:rolleyes::facepalm:

·
Gaz
686 Posts
When i was 16, i drove with a 25 year old camino. I had to fill it with a handpump. I stood there pumping and looking at a lady in the shop. The thing was overflowing like hell and running onto the hot engine. When i noticed, it was too late and there i stood in a massive blueish white cloud.:rolleyes::facepalm:

HAHA, I can picture that very well. :popcorn2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts