2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the accuracy of my fuel gauge and distance to empty indicator of the computer in the Type R.

I've done 340 miles since filling up with V-Power fuel.
The needle of the gauge is almost half way between the last and second last white line but the computer is telling me I have 42 miles worth of fuel left.

Does that sound right (hoped to attach a picture but I don't have permission)?
The needle seems to drop so quickly I can't tell if it'll last 42 miles until it hits the red marker. Unless of course the red marker doesn't signify no more fuel. :)
What's likely to be more accurate?

If the computer's correct that should easily see me through another days 28 mile round trip to work and back.
I driver pretty sedate during the week. Usually change gear pretty early and don't rev past 2.5-3k.

Thanks folk.

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did notice on my way home from work today that the miles to empty indicator seemed to reduce steadily one mile at a time for what seemed like accurate representations of a mile. :)
That's unusual for me because the miles to empty indicator on my 206 wasn't accuarte at all so I'm glad to see that the computer's better on the Civic.

The question for myself now is, do I have the bottle to attempt another trip to work and back with the current amount of fuel, or do I fire more in in the morning. lol

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Dont be tight :p

The fuel gauge is actually wired to the airflow meter I'm lead to believe, it uses airmass flow and so fuel usage to work the level gauge. Only randomly does it actually ask the level sensor in the tank for a more accurate reading from the tank and this is why sometimes it doesnt move for a while then suddenly drop.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I've done 25+ miles on 0 miles left.
Every car is programmed this way that it shows 0 miles left, while it allows even up to 50km (~35miles) to drive, but it's up to car manufacturer. I know in SAAB it was 50km.

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every car is programmed this way that it shows 0 miles left, while it allows even up to 50km (~35miles) to drive, but it's up to car manufacturer. I know in SAAB it was 50km.
I bottled it and filled up this morning before going the 14 miles to work.
But it did dawn on me that the low fuel warning still hadn't come on yet.
With that in mind, do you think I'd still have been okay for a bit longer?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I bottled it and filled up this morning before going the 14 miles to work.
But it did dawn on me that the low fuel warning still hadn't come on yet.
With that in mind, do you think I'd still have been okay for a bit longer?
If you hadn't even gotten the low fuel warning light, then you'd have been fine. After the light there's still a good amount of fuel left - mine comes on with about 30 miles left to go and reportedly there's even more than that.

I don't trust the fuel gauge to be all that accurate as when full it'll sit above the top marker for ages! The miles remaining is a much better indicator in my experience, although I've never gone below the "0" mark as don't fancy running out of fuel with the diesel.

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you hadn't even gotten the low fuel warning light, then you'd have been fine. After the light there's still a good amount of fuel left - mine comes on with about 30 miles left to go and reportedly there's even more than that.

I don't trust the fuel gauge to be all that accurate as when full it'll sit above the top marker for ages! The miles remaining is a much better indicator in my experience, although I've never gone below the "0" mark as don't fancy running out of fuel with the diesel.
When you say the "0" mark, do you mean the needle's gone past the bottom red line and approching number zero?
Yesterday was the lowest I had let it go to date. Halfway between the last and second last white line.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
When you say the "0" mark, do you mean the needle's gone past the bottom red line and approching number zero?
Yesterday was the lowest I had let it go to date. Halfway between the last and second last white line.
I mean the on board computer saying 0 miles remaining.
You're definitely playing it safe if you've not even gone below the last white line (not that there's anything wrong with playing it safe!).

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
The fuel tank is 50l and you get the "no fuel sign" when you used 42l. So there is still 8l of fuel in the tank.

·
Derv Driver
454 Posts
Two things:
I've hit 0 km to go on the range, and then did about another 5km trying to find a garage with suitable diesel (this is somewhat less than the 25miles Jorah said he got)

I've managed to fill up my 50L tank with 54L (it is a 50L tank, right?). Not both at the same time mind. at the time I had something like 3km or 13km left on the range- was a bit back so I'm not 100s sure about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts