2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question.

I let the fuel computer get to the stage where the petrol warning light displayed. It said I had 29 miles before the tank is empty.

I went to the petrol station yesterday and put £5 of fuel in the car and the fuel gauge did not increase and neither did the display of how many miles until empty.

I have been again this morning and put another £5 in the tank, and again nothing changed!

I am concerned that when the computer display hits 0 it will cut out, despite me knowing that I put £10 of fuel in altogether!

Has anyone ever had this problem when putting small amounts of fuel in the car?

·
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!
1,228 Posts
I am concerned that when the computer display hits 0 it will cut out, despite me knowing that I put £10 of fuel in altogether!
I don't know about the fuel gauge not responding when you only put in a dribble of fuel, I always fill it right up. I then know EXACTLY how much fuel is in the tank.
I would be hugely unlikely that the dashboard computer controls the fuel delivery, it just monitors it, badly in my experience. The engine will cut out when the fuel tank is empty.

I don't know if it is still true, but I was told years ago that it was not a good idea to let the tank get to empty, as there is sediment in the bottom which could block filters :?:

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
Due to the actual design of the tank, it will not register on the gauge until you have put more than £5 of fuel into the car. Sometimes £10 or more is needed, especially if the car is really empty. There are previous threads about this buried somewhere in the forum :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that!

Now I know that all will be well as I have put in £5 twice = £10.

I am quite annoyed that £5 doesn't register!

Does it still not register when you rest the computer?

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Thanks for that!

Now I know that all will be well as I have put in £5 twice = £10.

I am quite annoyed that £5 doesn't register!

Does it still not register when you rest the computer?
You should never run the car with very low amounts of fuel in it
(ie when the refill light is on) there can be all sorts at the bottom of a fuel tank that can do nasty things to the engine

It seems to me that you need to put a decent amount in to make the gauge work and prevent any engine problems

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
The car won't stop when it hits zero either so don't panic. I've done about 35 nervous miles on zero with closed petrol stations.
There are filters these days to stop the 'crap' getting sucked up, but still not wise to run that low. If you do run out 5 litres might not be enough to get it running again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have just dropped my car in at the Honda dealership today to get the headlight washers looked at and the boot lid struts fixed which aren't working.

I mentioned about the fuel gauge and the dealership manager who I know well said it is a known problem in that small amounts of fuel don't register.

Apparantly you need to put £15 - £20 in to make the dial move!

I think it is a general assumption by Honda that when people fill there cars up they never put small amounts in, which is totally false!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I hate visiting petrol stations so I always fill up to the brim.

It costs the same amount to fill up once or 5 or 6 times for £5-10 a go. You still do the same number of miles.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
It costs the same amount to fill up once or 5 or 6 times for £5-10 a go. You still do the same number of miles.
I always argue that it costs more to do the £10-a-time thing, because you have to waste fuel on detouring to the forecourt, re-starting the car and accelerating away! ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
If I'm near a Shell garage or I've planned it then I go for a full tank, if I'm desperate then I'll go to a local garage (usually the Total near my work) and put a fiver in just to get me to the Shell garage on the way home!

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Always full exept if I have to fill up during a trip on a motorway. In this case I take the minimum possible to finish the journey and fill up out of the motorway Its too far expensive to fill up on motorway :oops:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I did a 150 miles in a courtesy car with 0 miles available (3 £5 fill ups).

Anyway, was wondering if it registers a fiver if you put it in from say 3/4 full?
Anyone tried this (god knows why you'd want to though!!)?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know about the fuel gauge not responding when you only put in a dribble of fuel, I always fill it right up. I then know EXACTLY how much fuel is in the tank.
I would be hugely unlikely that the dashboard computer controls the fuel delivery, it just monitors it, badly in my experience. The engine will cut out when the fuel tank is empty.

I don't know if it is still true, but I was told years ago that it was not a good idea to let the tank get to empty, as there is sediment in the bottom which could block filters :?:
lol i know the Feeling, im sure my Fuel gauge is actually linked to my bank account, as both seem to empty pretty darn quick!

No that im complaining i blame my right foot ;) it needs to loose some weight!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts