2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has a nyone tried the fuel injector cleaner and if so does it do any good.I have a 2.2 civic 62 reg done 46000 miles and just wondering if i should try the cleaner so all thoughts please.

·
i-Vtec
2,613 Posts
I do, although not in a diesel. Personally I do think they work, in petrol's its helps remove the varnish build up from the injectors and intake side of things. There is a very good article in this months Car Mechanics magazine about products that help remove carbon build up from engine. When you see some of the pictures of carbon build up in diesel engines its not surprising DPF's get coked up and swirl flaps fail.

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
the thing with injector cleaners is the ones that do actually work
only work if there needed
a lot use them expecting results when theres nothing wrong
and also theres plenty that do nothing at all

the ones from bg tend to be ok
think diesel is bg244 and bg 245 expect to pay around £20 to £30 for bg products
wynns gold is also supposed to work and can be bought from halfords for £16.00
no harm in trying
even if its not needed at this stage it might help keep things clean

very rare is it a magic cure that some expect it to be
my old 2.2 had 185000 miles on her and still pulled like a train

·
Registered
368 Posts
I do, although not in a diesel. Personally I do think they work, in petrol's its helps remove the varnish build up from the injectors and intake side of things. There is a very good article in this months Car Mechanics magazine about products that help remove carbon build up from engine. When you see some of the pictures of carbon build up in diesel engines its not surprising DPF's get coked up and swirl flaps fail.
The magazines are paid to endorse the products. It's nothing more than advertising by the companies.

As for carbon build up, it's the result of EGR valves. We wouldn't have to decoke diesels if they ran on clean air, rather than exhaust emissions passed back through the engine.

I personally don't think any cleaner additive in the fuel tank will clean diesel crud. And if something was strong enough, it wouldn't be put through the diesel system, as it'd destroy it.

·
i-Vtec
2,613 Posts
It was quite an honest review tbh. JLM Lubricants Injector cleaner, and independent testing at Milbrook proving grounds. No instant Fixes, indeed limited results, however limited results are better than nothing. Regular usage would no doubt show decent results. Engine had 80,000 miles on it.

·
4,249 Posts
I do a great line of various snake oils at very reasonable prices. :ROFLMAO:

The problem that I am having is finding anyone gullible enough to buy any.:(

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,310 Posts
Check the YouTube Fifth Gear channel. They did tests before and after with Redex and it did give a slight performance kick.

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
the thing with most off them
people think they actually work because they have a ingredient that boosts the cetane level so instant slight boost
but not all of them actually do the job and improve performance in the longer term

·
Registered
149 Posts
Carbon will build up no matter what. The injectors stay fairly clean if decent fuel is used such as Vpower.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Carbon will build up no matter what. The injectors stay fairly clean if decent fuel is used such as Vpower.
If you care about carbon build up, remove your EGR valve, however it's illegal.

VPower and premium fuel do next to nothing. I've been on the roads for eight years, and only ever used supermarket fuel. We're in a country with stringent laws on fuel. You're buying supposed cleaning additives added to VPower but there is no scientific proven results and they don't release their formula.
The only thing to really clean diesel carbon up is Parrafin, you cannot run your vehicle on it though, it'll destroy the whole fuel system.

The only time VPower etc is needed is if you have a high performance unleaded car. Diesel is a complete waste of time, it'll run the exact same power on supermarket fuel. Unleaded they actually change the octane rating on VPower etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,292 Posts
"super" diesel fuel has an increased cetane rating (equivalent to octane in petrol).
This is what is supposed to keep it cleaner by burning hotter plus the detergent additives.
like all things it is a case of whether you believe it or not

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
I tried shell v power in my old 2.2 many times and found no increase in mpg in fact I noticed a slight drop in mpg every time
and noticed no performance gain at all
a friends golf gtd however does run a bit smoother on v power
tried many different tank to tank tests on the 1.6 civic I think the bp ultimate does have a slight difference but not fully convinced and is it worth the extra probably not

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you care about carbon build up, remove your EGR valve, however it's illegal.

VPower and premium fuel do next to nothing. I've been on the roads for eight years, and only ever used supermarket fuel. We're in a country with stringent laws on fuel. You're buying supposed cleaning additives added to VPower but there is no scientific proven results and they don't release their formula.
The only thing to really clean diesel carbon up is Parrafin, you cannot run your vehicle on it though, it'll destroy the whole fuel system.

The only time VPower etc is needed is if you have a high performance unleaded car. Diesel is a complete waste of time, it'll run the exact same power on supermarket fuel. Unleaded they actually change the octane rating on VPower etc.
Your probably right, and that's what I meant that you won't stop carbon build up. You would have to periodically strip and clean things to keep that at bay especially on a diesel. Theirs definitely a difference between fuel quality and Shell refine their own oil exclusively at least for the UK market.

My petrol cars all run on Vpower because they were mapped on them being higher octane. With the VP Diesel the fluid definitely just feels different and lighter less oily in texture to any other forecourts.

I get all the marketing [email protected]#k , and don't think they give better economy and most fuels will be adequate. But I don't mind using a fuel in my car that is consistent and that means sticking to VP petrol.

More harm from filling up at a pump that's almost running dry.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My petrol cars all run on Vpower because they were mapped on them being higher octane. With the VP Diesel the fluid definitely just feels different and lighter less oily in texture to any other forecourts.

I get all the marketing [email protected]#k , and don't think they give better economy and most fuels will be adequate. But I don't mind using a fuel in my car that is consistent and that means sticking to VP petrol.

More harm from filling up at a pump that's almost running dry.
If your car is mapped to run on higher octane, then yes use that, it'll run poorly on anything else.

On the topics of pumps running dry etc, if you see the fuel tanker just leaving a forecourt, don't use their fuel for an hour or two. If they have water or stuff floating in the fuel, it takes a while to sit back at the top of the fuel in the underground tanks.

As for diesel having higher octane, I've never seen any benefits to make it worthwhile the £1.50 a litre. BP Ultimate all of them, I've ran all my cars on them once in a blue moon, they do nothing. No faster, and don't run any better MPG. Just a wallet drainer.

I wouldn't even waste my time on a >10 year old vehicle adding anything to clean the diesel system, my Civic has had 5+ owners, I doubt any of them ran it on anything other than super market fuel, and what's even more detrimental to a engine is high periods of idling, or short engine off and on journeys, especially on a diesel.

My friend had a BMW 335D remapped and it ran just the same on Vpower as it did on supermarket fuel. A BMW 335D with a remap will smoke the vast majority of Civic Type R's. Heck it even left a '13 Mercedes C63 with five people in the car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I only eluded to it's kinder on injectors in terms of varnish build up , nothing about reducing carbon, price, mpg, or more power! So not sure what your on about tbh ?

·
Super Moderator
1,292 Posts
My friend had a BMW 335D remapped and it ran just the same on Vpower as it did on supermarket fuel. A BMW 335D with a remap will smoke the vast majority of Civic Type R's. Heck it even left a '13 Mercedes C63 with five people in the car.
Shock, horror!
Diesel with 300+hp and a shed load of low down torque beats petrol engined car.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Shock, horror!
Diesel with 300+hp and a shed load of low down torque beats petrol engined car.
They have insane amounts of torque, even on rolling starts it'd smoke other vehicles. If you looked at it, you'd never know it was a sport model until you got behind it and saw the twin exhausts. Looked just like a normal 3 series. Not many people know about the 3.5D twin turbo's. Nearly everyone that raced off the lights were shocked when it flew by with soot billowing out the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts