2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
In december i purchased my first civic type r gt. Its a 2009 milano red model. I have noticed tho that no matter how slow or cautious i drive i cannot get any more than 24mpg. I find this very low. Could anybody give me any advice on what could be wrong or is this normal. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi
In december i purchased my first civic type r gt. Its a 2009 milano red model. I have noticed tho that no matter how slow or cautious i drive i cannot get any more than 24mpg. I find this very low. Could anybody give me any advice on what could be wrong or is this normal. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Stock FN2 '09 model:
I get about 28mpg around town, but a mixed drive I get around 33mpg....long distance drives (i.e. Scottish Highlands) I can get about 37mpg...40mpg if I sit at 60mph with average speed camera-plagued roads....
All in, I don't find the motor in the FN2 thirsty for the performance on offer.

Tips for improving mpg:
Lighter right boot :popcorn2:
Tyre pressures (34 front; 31 rear)
Empty your boot
Service the car and get the fresh 0w40 high quality synthetic oil and filters changed
Downshift when approaching lights and use engine braking to slow down more - doesn't use any fuel...read the road...

Hope it helps!

K

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks buddy.
I bought the car of a ford dealer who said he serviced it before he sold me the car. But i think i would be better taking the car to honda and have them look at it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks buddy.
I bought the car of a ford dealer who said he serviced it before he sold me the car. But i think i would be better taking the car to honda and have them look at it!
Probably best take the car to a Honda garage to give it a look over..that's what I would do anyways...oh and avoid K Fit like the plague....unless you want sub standard work done and all your petrol used up as the apprentices take your car out for 'test drives'.....heard many a story about that outfit, so I've always stayed clear...

Brakes are also a fair point, as another forum member has noted...

You ought to be getting c. 30mpg at any rate...though you didn't buy the car for mpg did you? :eek:

Best of luck buddy!

K

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are your brakes sticky
Many FN2s in the Lisburn area mate?
Each time I get back home, I rarely see any FN2s kicking about...mainly the usual Germanics...ever so boring...

You taken your car to Kirkiston at all?
Here in Scotland, my nearest track is Knockhill, though haven't dared to take her on a track, yet! Baffled sump would be among the first things I'd change....and my insurance to Greenlight (£50 extra for track day and low excess should the worst happen)....

K

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol nope i am going thru a mid life crisis and wanted a bit of speed in my life lol. Thanks kakane i have heard horror stories about k fit too. Thanks for your help
M

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Im getting between 30 and 35mpg i know that dosent help you.

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
When i first got mine i was averaging 18mpg for wks until i learnt how to drive it correctly i went from a turbo diesel to mine and the drive style is totally different.
Also if your routes are mainly town or stop start you will get low mpg 24 isn't that bad really i average anywhere from 24-28 and thats no stop starts, the correct gears also help, if i travel all wk sitting at 57mph using my cruise control i'll easily see 29mpg.
I doubt taking it to honda will achieve anything if it's already been serviced and driving normal, another thing is if you mix your driving up (cautious then a quick rag) you wont get a true mpg, in my eyes 24mpg is not that bad, constant motorway driving you can get 32+, i wouldn't worry

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I've had upto 43 MPG on a motorway journey but at the moment I'm getting 26 MPG with only town driving.

If you're driving on a combination of roads (town centre/dual carriageway/motorway) you should be getting low 30s IMO. Driving style and oil type have a big effect on MPG figures.

I'd get it checked out! :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I would reset computer do 20 miles without any harsh acceleration/ artificial rev limit of 3k, max speed 50mph and see what you get, if you get 35+mpg then all is as it should be.

I get 36 to 41mpg if I drive with a brick under, not on the gas pedal!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I'd also reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for half an hour so it has to re-learn to your driving style.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts