2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick up my new CTR GT on Saturday and I'd appreciate some info on the best fuel to use. Clearly I'm thinking of Super Unleaded, my nearest, cheapest place for SU is Tescos though. Is there any benefit with V-Power or Optimax over normal SU?

Ajnt

·
Registered
107 Posts
DONT go to tesco!! Get yourself to a reputable filling station, BP/Texaco/Shell/Esso Tesco fuel is not good for your car, packed with silicone. Especially in a CTR. BP Ultimate is decent :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not saying you're wrong, but can I see some evidence?

A recent Whatcar report showed there a tiny performance diffference between supermarket fuels and others. The 'premium' fuels could keep your engine better over time, but that's hard to test.

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
There seems to be a difference in fuel types. I saw a report somewhere (here?) where they "splitted" an Audi V8 and used regular fuel on 4 cylinders and premium fuel to the other 4. The difference in internal pollution was remarkable.
With a high revving, high powerd engine like the CTR, I would recommend 98 RON at least.
With low cost filling stations, the problem is that you never know what you get. There will be good ones, but some are definately not. They mix fuels (fraud) or wait to long to refill their tanks, because of price speculation. That allows concensation to form on the inner tank which runs down, gets under the fuel-level, does not get away there, makes the tank rust, and the water finally gets in you fuel tank,... Been there, seen it all! :mad:

K.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I think I'm going to make sure I get a premium fuel in there then ... now we're down to BP Ultimate (97 RON), BP Ultimate 102 and Shell V-Power (99 RON).

Will I really see any benefit on the road between Ultimate 102 and Ultimate? Has anyone got any particular opinions on Ultimate vs V-Power?

I'm picking up the CTR tomorrow ... can't wait!

·
Registered
42 Posts
strange...here in Belgium you are adviced to put 95 oct(is this the same as RON, I think so) in the CTR...so it is better to put in some with more RON then?

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
For normal engines 95 RON is ok. With high power engines, especially with high revs and higher compression (or turbo) higher octane numbers are a better choice. Why?
The RON-number indicates the "resistance" of fuel to start burning spontanously. You want the fuel-air mixture in the cylinder to start burning when the spark plug ignites it, and the flame has to start at the spark and then propagate gradually trough the cylinder. When you use lower octane fuel, chances are that the mixture starts burning on its own, or that it starts burning at different spots, and not only at the spark. This is called "knocking" (At least I think it is. My technical English is limited! Hope my explanation is a bit clear all together.)

K.

·
Banned
118 Posts
i notice that when i use just standard shell i get a few flat spots with the aem filter.
but if i fill up with v power then theese flat spots are ironed out.
thats my two pence.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First 2 tanks ...

Texaco super unleaded (yes, ok, no other choice!)
Shell V-Power

I'll probably try to stick to Shell V-Power for the next dozen or so fill ups and then I'll have something to base it on when I change to BP to try their high RON fuels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts