2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the manual, when the fuel light comes on you have 8 litres left plus a reserve, if the reserve is a consevative 1 litre this means you have two gallons which if averaging 30mpg you can go another 60 miles....simples. Question is, has anyone gone beyond the "you have 0 miles to go before you need to be in a petrol station"?.
My drive home from work is 415 miles, easily achieved in my last car a 530d, not so in the Type R. So do you think I can stretch a tank to 420 miles (maybe remap?), or should I just say "sod it", accept the fact I'm gonna have to stop and [smilie=spank.gif] it all the way home! [smilie=wrygrin.gif]

Has anyone remapped and improved their mpg?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
420 miles!!! I'm lucky to get over 280 out of a tank! I have gone beyond the 0 miles left for about 10 miles before, the longest 10 miles of my life!

·
Mondeo Mann is here!!
1,333 Posts
If your sensible, i've heard of a few Type R drivers getting 450 miles out of a full tank but i think they were using either Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate

·
everyday i get older
1,036 Posts
well i got 400miles to my tank on the way to Trax motorshow and that was spirited driving partly (I say no more) and i thin i could of gotten more if i hadn't hit Vtec so much :D damn VXR drivers...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its not impossible but unless you drive like Miss Daisy there is no way you can get 450 miles from a Type R.

I've just driven back from Brands Hatch and it was 253 miles door to door.
According to the trip computer I have 120 miles left in the tank and I averaged 36.9mpg on the trip. I would still be way off the target even if I tried. I also had the AC off nearly the entire trip.

EvoStu

·
everyday i get older
1,036 Posts
Its not impossible but unless you drive like Miss Daisy there is no way you can get 450 miles from a Type R.

I've just driven back from Brands Hatch and it was 253 miles door to door.
According to the trip computer I have 120 miles left in the tank and I averaged 36.9mpg on the trip. I would still be way off the target even if I tried. I also had the AC off nearly the entire trip.

EvoStu
the trip computer lies.. all the time.. and the 36.9 is your average Mpg, still good though...

·
Registered
323 Posts
You should be able to get 420 if it's all motorway miles and you keep it under 80.
Probably correct. If you take the fuel tank capacity and then use the Honda quoted extra urban mpg, you should in theory achieve around 443 miles out of the tank.

However, how empty do you want your tank to become? Where might you fill it up the next day?

Also, how do you drive? Always light on the pedal and staying within speed limits?

Then consider the road conditions. Is everything running smoothly or might you meet a very long holdup?

It is an interesting question though ;).

My best guess (and it is no more than that) is that you could do the trip on a tankful, but would you want to try that every trip? :eek:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Probably correct. If you take the fuel tank capacity and then use the Honda quoted extra urban mpg, you should in theory achieve around 443 miles out of the tank.

However, how empty do you want your tank to become? Where might you fill it up the next day?

Also, how do you drive? Always light on the pedal and staying within speed limits?

Then consider the road conditions. Is everything running smoothly or might you meet a very long holdup?

It is an interesting question though ;).

My best guess (and it is no more than that) is that you could do the trip on a tankful, but would you want to try that every trip? :eek:
I wouldn't have the bottle to try it in my own car. As soon as the light comes on I start worrying. It sounds like I might have 60 miles after this point, but that would be too tortuous for words.

·
Registered
109 Posts
the trip computer lies.. all the time.. and the 36.9 is your average Mpg, still good though...
Whilst I do know this already, I have worked out the calculation as well and its not far off the computers figure of 36.9

Its still going to be bloody difficult to get close to the 450 mile barrier.

EvoStu.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The only trip i really do is going home once a week, which is 150miles each way. 70% NSL and the rest of it is mostly motorway.

Im hoping for around 300miles to a tank, thats with normal driving on the motorway with the odd vtec blast on the NSL roads - overtaking slower drivers etc.

Do you think this is realistic?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The only trip i really do is going home once a week, which is 150miles each way. 70% NSL and the rest of it is mostly motorway.

Im hoping for around 300miles to a tank, thats with normal driving on the motorway with the odd vtec blast on the NSL roads - overtaking slower drivers etc.

Do you think this is realistic?
I reckon you will be looking more at 250-280 max.
I personally tend to average around 220-250 but thats mainly dual carriageway and town driving. If I had more motorway work then yeah 280-300 would be expected.

EvoStu.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your contributions, I'm gonna try Tescos higher octane petrol on my next trip home (next Tuesday) to see if that helps. I don't like running my tank down too low, I also don't like stopping, mostly I don't like motorway fuel prices :(. Luckily there is a Shell garage (I think) on the M74 that charges "normal" prices so if I have to stop it'll be there.
I'll see how it goes next week and let you all know. Would be nice if I can achieve Hondas predicted 42mpg!.

P.S I notice nobody mentioned my "remapping", is this simply a no go?.

·
Wheel Man
169 Posts
I've never had more than 300ish out of a tank but I tend to fill up before it gets to the fuel light as I hate stopping on the way to or from work. Furthest I've been with the light on is about 30 miles, it said I had another 10-20 to go on the range computer I think.

I normally run 95 octane as I didn't get any more or less mileage when I tried 97 octane petrol, I've yet to try 99 octane though.

Most of my driving is NSL roads, then motorway and I get about 31mpg on average. Doesn't seem to waiver too much if I boot it or if I take it easy...

Gonna try 99 Octane when I next stop in a gas station that has it, mostly 97 stuff round here super-wise...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts