2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 2.2 cdti civic with around 103k on the clock. I have owned the car since 2010 and was averaging 15k miles pa. For the past couple of years this has dropped to around 4-5k miles.

Last month the car stalled twice while getting away from round abouts with the fuel level warming indicator on. It didnt start immediately after the stall but then worked alright. My drive is on a slope with the rear of the car lower and after leaving the car on the drive for a couple of days it wouldnt start at all. I topped it up with 5 lt of diesel and cranked extensively to no avail. Finally the car was recovered to the garage (local guy who services my cars. Very honest reliable garage). He checked the ECU for error codes but found nothing and after a bit of tinkering, added more fuel into the intake directly and got the car going. Since then I have done about 350mi without any issues.

This morning, the fuel warning light was back on and on a slow crawl to the roundabout the car stalled again and restarted with some hesitation. I then drove away giving it some revs in case the fuel line had picked up some dirt or water. The car hesitated couple of times and the PGM F1 check light came on and the car went into limp mode. Luckily the petrol station was only about 400m away so I pulled in and filled her up. The car has been fine since but I wonder if its just some dirt or water in the tank tahts being picked up or if there is a more serious issue at hand.

Any advise welcome.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
If it went into limp mode then there should be a stored error code?

I'm wondering if your 'low fuel' warning light is somehow coming on too late. Try keeping the tank up above half full and see if you ever have a problem... if it only ever happens when the low fuel warning light comes on then there must be a link!

I don't agree that the tank running low causes dirt or water to be picked up from the bottom of the tank... the fuel line always draws off the bottom of the tank whether it's full or near-empty, but I guess if you had some weird floating stuff on top of the fuel then running low might bring that down near the fuel pipe? But then it would block the fuel filter and the car still wouldn't start when refilled.

If you find out that the problem isn't linked to the low fuel warning light, then I suggest the problem could be the EGR valve sometimes sticking open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts