2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

For the last 3 months or so when sitting in traffic I've noticed the smell of exhaust fumes drifting into the cabin. This also manifests itself as what can only be described as filth building up on the inside of the screen exactly above the screen vent.

Turning the re-circ on cuts the smell out completely. I thought it would have been cured at the last service when the pollen filter was changed. Is there any other filters that the outside air goes through before reaching the cabin?

It's a high mileage example now - 80k and counting.

My last car automatically put the re-circ on when stationary and under 10 mph or so...

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
If you are in 'fresh air' mode then you will be drawing air in from outside the car and if you are sitting in traffic, that means you will be drawing in exhaust fumes from outside. As far as I'm aware there is only a dust and pollen filter and they will not stop the fumes from entering the cabin in 'fresh air' mode. :(

In recirculation mode the interior air recycles through the system and so you do not draw air in from outside.

I always leave mine in recirculation mode when sitting in traffic. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are in 'fresh air' mode then you will be drawing air in from outside the car and if you are sitting in traffic, that means you will be drawing in exhaust fumes from outside. As far as I'm aware there is only a dust and pollen filter and they will not stop the fumes from entering the cabin in 'fresh air' mode. :(

In recirculation mode the interior air recycles through the system and so you do not draw air in from outside.

I always leave mine in recirculation mode when sitting in traffic. :)
I'm aware of all that, but I haven't noticed it for the first 65,000 miles of driving the car, so I presume a filter somewhere along the line has perished. If there isn't any other filter in line apart from the pollen filter then it must just be my nose has got more sensitive in the last year!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has the car got noisy at all?

I had a renault (yeah i know) and it split the exhaust manifold just slightly so it was letting fumes into the engine bay, which were then getting pulled into the cabin.

get it check out asap.. Me any my other half almost died (might be an exageration but we almost passed out) on a long journey before i noticed the problem.

Lewis

·
Registered
37 Posts
High mileage Accords have been known to crack a manifold so might be worth getting the dealer to check, the car must still be under warrenty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the dealer... They need the car for 3 days to strip the manifold, order the right parts and stick it all back together again.... sounds like a tasty warranty claim! Plus they're gonna repair at my slipping clutch for the second time in 30k.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for the lower mileage guys...

Can we move this thread to the engines/transmission section?

Thanks for all your help guys :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same problem

First post from me so Hi all.
I have had the same problem with my civic, first time under waranty, Westgate honder had the car for a week ( had to order a tool from Germany) problem was a "O" ring on injector, So i was told. I have just started to get same problem again at 55000 miles but i dont think i will be under waranty this time. :(
Hi guys

For the last 3 months or so when sitting in traffic I've noticed the smell of exhaust fumes drifting into the cabin. This also manifests itself as what can only be described as filth building up on the inside of the screen exactly above the screen vent.

Turning the re-circ on cuts the smell out completely. I thought it would have been cured at the last service when the pollen filter was changed. Is there any other filters that the outside air goes through before reaching the cabin?

It's a high mileage example now - 80k and counting.

My last car automatically put the re-circ on when stationary and under 10 mph or so...

·
Registered
6 Posts
fumes in cabin

i have just had the car repaired again :(:D No.1 injector problem same as last time? and as i thought no warranty this time, £537.00 :confused: it's only lasted 15 months from the last repair. with no joy from dealer or honda, i feel like defecting after owning 5 civic's on the trot.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Hi guys,
I think I'm having the same kind of problem here. Everytime I'm driving on a long journey with the re-circ ON, there's fumes smell coming into the cabin. I've to turn the re-circ OFF in order to remove the smell for a while.
At first I thought it must be the pollen filter that need a replacement. As I was checking out the pollen filter, I noticed there was some peble-sized grey foam crumbs build up alongside the filter. Does anyone knows where those foam came from as I'm getting a hunch it must be why the fumes smell coming into the cabin? :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts