2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Future owner of a 2.2 i-CTDi...

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  JackW 
#1 ·
Hi all!

Just signed up to do a bit of research as I'm looking to buy a used Civic in the near future. Decided it is to be a diesel, pref ES or EX spec.

Put my current car up for sale last night and as soon as it's gone I'll be ready to buy.

Looking around with a potential £4K budget, most of the cars I'm seeing have at least 85,000 miles on the clock, most over 100,000. My question is, should I be too worried if it comes with a full service history? I've had a look through wiki and can see there's no cambelt to worry about, but are there any other major costs I should be aware of? I won't be putting massive mileage on it, probably 10K a year max.

I test drove a 1.8 petrol yesterday and was really impressed, but for motorway driving and car tax reasons I'd prefer a diesel. I've also got used to having plenty of torque coming from a turbocharged car...

Here's to the start of hopefully a beautiful relationship! :wave:

#3 ·
Hello, welcome!
You will find a lot of great information on here.

I was in the same position as you, I came from a 1.6 Turbo petrol car and was looking for a Diesel Civic with high spec, and the one I found had 101,000 miles when I bought it in January (now near 110,000) in top EX spec for £5k.
I would say, don't worry about the mileage, but a full Service History is an absolute must.
The other thing to check is the clutch. These are prone to going on the diesel model, so have a look on here how to test the clutch properly before buying.

The 2.2 does have masses of torque and in my opinion is great to drive. My only complaint is that it's (obviously) noisier and not as smooth as my petrol turbo. You can't have everything though!

#7 ·
You'll love the 2.2 mate, get it remapped to near enough 200bhp and 292Ibft and feel some real torque! (But watch the clutch slip..)

#12 ·
:hello2: mate & :welcome4: to :civinfo::beer:

#14 ·
Hey,

Welcome as above.. Become a supporter mate its well worth it :)

10,000 miles a year is pretty low mileage, if you're set on the diesel then go for it, but be aware that the fuel savings at that mileage are minimal and the road tax is only £50 difference. The servicing of the 1.8 is also cheaper than the 2.2.

I have a 2.2 myself, and its a nice drive but the clutch is a concern and if I was buying again I'd probably have the petrol. Certainly in the winter the diesel takes a reasonable time to warm up and right as you say - the petrol is smoother and quieter.

Good luck in your hunt for a car.

#18 ·
My 2007 2.2 fully loaded EX is probably worth around 4k, with 88k on the clock, it drives a lot better and sounds smoother now then its ever done. I service it via a non honda dealer, and its not gone wrong, had all round brake discs replaced recently @ 86K from original. cost £200 with pads fitted, rather then £570+ from dealer
However ive never got it to do 55mpg, more like 40mpg in stop start morning commute, when schools are closed best ive seen is 47mpg, generally no more than 480 miles per 50litre tank
Im hopeing it lasts another 100k, its on its 2nd clutch too done 50K on that too

#20 ·
Again, thanks for all the responses!

The clutch thing is a niggle, but no car is perfect I guess. Provided I can source one that's on it's second clutch I should get some peace of mind.
Although my mileage is fairly low, I do travel to North Yorkshire and South Wales from time to time visiting family, hence leaning towards a diesel.

When I drove the petrol version, I think I was driving it like my Golf, forgetting that the VTEC likes to rev (first VTEC engined car I've driven). Need to drive a 2.2 to see how it compares. Not too worried about the diesel chatter, I used to drive a '96 Polo 1.9D - can't be as loud as that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.