2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my car handed over the other day, the handover chap offered me gap insurance, as I'm sure you're all aware of. It was a take it or leave it at the time, which I left, at the time, seeing as though it was £330 for 3 years. Got home, did a bit of checking on the internet and managed to get a quote for £151 from AXA for 3 years based on a £15,000 deficit from regular insurance payout.

If you're about to get your car handed over, my recommendation is to tell the handover man or sales(wo)man that you will consider the gap insurance they're offering, but you can get it for under half that price with other companies. It may be that they offer it for less, I'm not sure, I haven't tried yet.

Remember, at point of handover, it's an exciting time, and the figures quoted, especially when they show you that sliding graph of depreciation is tempting, but it's an impulse decision, which generally mean that it's a poorly thought out decision, so if you're tempted, I'd suggest you resist the urge. It's a bit of an ambush, and something the salesman could advise beforehand. But they don't do that because they want to take advantage of your excitement of picking your car up. I think there's a banner on here for surf and protect, which I clicked on and it was AXA that quoted a higher figure at first, then they matched another figure. I daresay I could get it even lower. The Honda chap will also no doubt say the offer lasts a few days, although most companies will allow up to 30 days.

My apologies to any salesmen or Honda reps on here thinking I've put your nose out of joint, but I'm only thinking about the customer, and them not being taken advantage of. If it is a worry for the Honda reps amongst you, then be honest at point of sale, advise that it's available, and promise to match any lower quote!

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Might as well skip the messing about and just get it from one of our GAP partners.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the info, the salesman at my local garage tried to sell the Gap insurance to me at £299, and I'm sure I didn't walk into the showroom with "MUG" on my forehead. Why do they do it after securing a sale for £15k+ for a car.

You just have to smell a rat when car salesmen become insurance salesmen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am thinking of getting GAP insurance but I am unable to find out the following info.

Are you able to pay for GAP insurance monthly (like normal insurance) or do you have to pay a one off payment:?:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just checked my insurance details and I get a sort of Gap insurance included. If, during the first year, the car is damaged to the extent of 70% or more, I get a brand new car.
That'll do me - I change to a EX next month.
Insurance is through swiftcover.com and I pay under £200 for my 1.8ES.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Just checked my insurance details and I get a sort of Gap insurance included. If, during the first year, the car is damaged to the extent of 70% or more, I get a brand new car.
That'll do me - I change to a EX next month.
Insurance is through swiftcover.com and I pay under £200 for my 1.8ES.

My insurance is the same - Sheilas Wheels

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi ,just reading about gap cover and looked a little further,thought you may like this site for prices on gap cover,tyre cover etc www.car2cover.co.uk got price 3 yrs cover return to invoice price £149 or upto £10k cover 3yrs £103 hope you find this helpful

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone ever USED their gap insurance? Just curious as I've heard many stories of 'small print' rendering the insurance null and void.

"I'm sorry Sir, didn't you read the small print? Says that you aren't covered if you've driven more than 1 mile on a Wednesday after 9pm and have passed any fields which have sheep in them. It's quite clear really.."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts