2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

How any of you taken GAP insurance out for your car?

My dealer has offered it to me from Honda for £395 for 3 Years cover upto £15,000. To cover the relacement cost difference if my car get written off.

Is that about the right price?

As I have seen it for sale at other sites for quit a bit less?

What do people think of GAP Insurance in General?

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
quite a bit of GAP discussion in the Buying section which is worth reading :)

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
You can probably get cheaper than that, I was offered £300 from honda, he came down a bit when I mentioned internet deals at around £130, but said the honda one was bells and whistles, and that it's more expensive because it is, or rather it's better because it's more expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I was offered it for £350.
Didn't take it up, - as with all insurance, one can go on forever.
Am sure that there will be a company somewhere, who will be pleased to take your dosh to cover you against E.T. p--ing in your boot.
Have to draw a reasonable line for cover, whether it be house, car or "Er Indoors".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Definitely consider getting one, but not from Honda, as it very expensive.
A Civic (be it 1.8, 2.2 or Type-R) is unlikely to loose 15k in value over three years, so the 15k cover is a bit excessive and unnecessary. Look elsewhere for cover of 7.5-10k and there are deals to be had from £130.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When we ordered the R the dealer offered us the GAP insurance for £495 but when I refused and explained that due to having bad experience's with a BMW stealer ripping me off not once but twice he offered it to us for £250, needless to say we took it....

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I've been offered it at £350. Dealer said you pay £175 up front and then pay the rest monthly over 10 months interest free. But its still a rip off at that price. I have been quoted about £160 elsewhere.

I'm not planning on having an accident so its a catch 22 situation. Its a bit like paying £625 for a warranty on a BMW Mini for a year and not using it! Grrr!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Believe me GAP insurance would have saved me a mint if I'd had it! Total loss and crappy insurance payout as usual as it is based on Glass's Guide. You should be able to get three year cover on a car less than 20k for about £130 to £160.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been looking too. Best quote I could find was the link below:

GAP insurance from HC For You

I intend to take out as I do a fair amount of mileage and know the car will loose value quicker.

HC underwrite a number of the policies offered by brokers and stealers

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I have been looking too. Best quote I could find was the link below:

GAP insurance from HC For You

I intend to take out as I do a fair amount of mileage and know the car will loose value quicker.

HC underwrite a number of the policies offered by brokers and stealers
is that Hitachi as in the electronics company?

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
is that Hitachi as in the electronics company?
Is it not Hitachi Capital who are a finance company with no connection to the electronics business. Usually find Hitachi Capital supplying the intrest free agreements in places like Goldsmiths etc.

I found a few good GAP providers via Auto Trader website if your wanting to have a look

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was offered Honda Finance GAP with my new civic. £395 for three years, including 'free' AutoGlym Lifeshine paint and interior finish. Checked on the web and found similar GAP for around £200, and Lifeshine from a valet company for about £180.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts