1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· i-Dtec
6,467 Posts

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,497 Posts
Go with the Sandiskflair, that's what I use. USB 3

I know mine is different but ......

In the navigation area go to settings and MyMaps. Somewhere in there is a prompt to start the update process.
All that does is write a small text file to the stick, it's very quick.

Then indoors, fire up Garmin Express, plug in the stick and see what GE reckons.

I did mine only a few days ago because even though I've got the latest Honda/Garmin 2022.10 it was telling me to update to 2022.10 !!! Closer inspection showed that when I last updated to 2022.10 it wrote it's ID as just "1" so this time is was updating from 1 to 2022.10

If you're offered the update it says it takes over 2 hours to download but in reality it's just over an hour.

Even though GE reckons it has control, keep wiggling the mouse every so often because I've known the screensaver stop the download.

Once complete, back to the car, plug it in, engine running, and go to the MyMaps again and press the same update button.

This time it recognises the USB has data and starts the update.

Takes about 10 to 15 mins.

What I used : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015CH1GTO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

· i-Dtec
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cheers. I've just ordered the one you bought. There's a good tutorial on the Garmin page and I already have Garmin Express download already. Garmin say its a 5 year free downloads so this year and next, hopefully.

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,497 Posts
You can buy updates when the free 5 years expires.

If you remember, Trev used to update his 10G almost weekly because he included the PGPSW speed cameras. However, to get the alerts he had to reset the head unit every trip. There's a thread here somewhere .....

But I'm sure there's a better one ......

· i-Dtec
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Way too complicated for me, lol. I also asked if there was an update for the infotainment system but apparently there is not. Im surprised by this as I have noticed in some tutorials some have an option to adjust the sensitivity of the Auto Lights which mine doesn't seem to have. Mine are way too sensitive.

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,497 Posts
Maybe post your head unit specs and get others to compare.

I know the 9G had a load of updates through to RC8 due to bugs.

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,497 Posts

· i-Dtec
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· i-Dtec
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that was simple. 40 minutes to upload to memory card 23 minutes to down load to car. Interesting that it appears Garmin has increased their free support to 2028, I thought it was just 5 years.

Rectangle Font Software Screenshot Multimedia

· Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
it was only 3 or 5 updates on 9g
but to be honest i find it very basic and poor up in my area lost of roads still not on and 1 journey it takes me on a 2 mile detour through town rather than the 1/2 mile route on outskirts
good job that was just a test when i first got car
much prefer my stand alone tom tom
i know wagon drivers who have both as garmin and tom tom are better in certain areas but also stand alone garmin better than the built in honda unit

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,497 Posts
I now use Google Maps via Android Auto. I also use my standalone Garmin DS61 as I can see the traffic for all my route, not just the map in view..

Google Maps puts me in poser mode as I use satellite view :)

· i-Dtec
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tbh the Garmin isn't really much better but the benefits of Waze out weight that. Potholes, Police, Speed traps, traffic, accident, etc etc etc all on one platform. Just ordered a new phone, my last was over 5 years old, so hopefully that will sort it out.

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,497 Posts
I have speed cameras sorted via another app and traffic via my DS61 although Maps covers traffic and alerts as well. Maps is terrible for speed cameras. All it delivers is a bong that means nothing.

From what I've read Samsung and Pixel seem to be the most compatible with the Honda head unit. I was considering a Pixel 7 later this year but I can't find an active mount so I'll go Samsung again.

I'm seeing regular issues elsewhere with the Chinese brands that Google have blacklisted having connection issues.

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,497 Posts
Good phone, daughter has one. No point paying any more for the S22 or S23. Easily as good as my S10.

Reactions: Das

· i-Dtec
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah thats good to know, tbh phones are getting out of control tbh. The A53 has 128gb memory which is what sung it for me. Only £10 a month more with 5G and 25gb than im getting ripped off for my paid off S7 with 4G and only 10gb.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts