2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just bought 6 litres of gastrol edge ready for my next oil change.

Ive noticed that this batch is the c2 version when the last load of gastrol edge i had didnt have any c numbers at all on it. Its the only gastrol edge available on the coxhonda site for the 2.2 diesel so surely its the right one?

What does the c2 mean exactly anyway? Sorry for sounding stupid guys. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I purchased the same 6 litre deal from Cox Honda with my service parts lasy year, you will probably notice that it has 'professional' on the label too.

'C2 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.9mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life and maintain the vehicles fuel economy. Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.'

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the same 6 litre deal from Cox Honda with my service parts lasy year, you will probably notice that it has 'professional' on the label too.

'C2 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.9mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life and maintain the vehicles fuel economy. Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.'
Thats great,so its defo the right oil for the 2.2 cdti then? Im only asking cause the c2 part wasnt on the front of the last lot i bought for my car.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
It's fine for the 2.2 CDTI.

the normal Edge 0w30 has more 'protection' due to more metallic components.

These are removed for cars fitted with DPF's as it could shorten their life.

so although C2 is fine, the one for non-DPF cars would better as the CDTI does not have a DPF

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's fine for the 2.2 CDTI.

the normal Edge 0w30 has more 'protection' due to more metallic components.

These are removed for cars fitted with DPF's as it could shorten their life.

so although C2 is fine, the one for non-DPF cars would better as the CDTI does not have a DPF
Thanks for explaining that. I wonder why the normal edge 0w 30 isnt listed on cox hondas site now then,only the c2 version?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Thanks for explaining that. I wonder why the normal edge 0w 30 isnt listed on cox hondas site now then,only the c2 version?
C2 spec is for the 9th gen diesels as they have dpfs. Makes more sense commercially to hold a single oil that is suitable for all Honda diesels on the market

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
C2 spec is for the 9th gen diesels as they have dpfs. Makes more sense commercially to hold a single oil that is suitable for all Honda diesels on the market
I guess that does make sense,shame we dont get the choice though. I may get mobil 1 0w30 in future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts