2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggest since last two years my gear changes are knoctchy and isn't smooth with the gear changes particularly 1-2 but 3-6 is ok. At times it gets stuck going in either 1-2 but only sometimes quick back to neutral and back in fixes it. I always wanted to fix this but didn't know where to start and I was told syncros could be the answer to this. As the each syncro controls two gears 1-2, 2-4 and 5-6.

How much are they? And is it worth that's getting a new gear box or transmission where are these syncro located as I am not engine savvy.

Has anybody experienced this issue and what's fix? I just want that smooth driving experience and possible keep it got longer but if its going to get worse I might have to sell it.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Synchro's are in the gearbox - you'd be looking at a gearbox split - not something I would contemplate myself, and I do most of my own spannering - including the rebuild of a 1957 Land Rover gearbox - but those are much simpler beasts and I had some good guidance for all my questions from the Series 1 club..

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
In the other thread you just posted to (over 5 years old so I would not hold your breath ;) ) you say it goes into gear & then a crunch/grind? What vehicle/mileage etc & what exactly are the symptoms?

·
Registered
259 Posts
My fn2 gears are a little bit notchy, I think they all are hence why a lot of people fit a weighted gear knob to help. But if you have high mileage then a new clutch could help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the other thread you just posted to (over 5 years old so I would not hold your breath ;) ) you say it goes into gear & then a crunch/grind? What vehicle/mileage etc & what exactly are the symptoms?
Oh really my bad it was a thread suggestion lol revive it haha. Its 79k and it was fine up till 76k. ES petrol model.

The symptoms is just that it isn't smooth going into different gears not just 1-2 and occasionally doesn't go in either one or two so back in neutral and back in. There's no grinding or anything my concern is it will get worse over time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Synchro's are in the gearbox - you'd be looking at a gearbox split - not something I would contemplate myself, and I do most of my own spannering - including the rebuild of a 1957 Land Rover gearbox - but those are much simpler beasts and I had some good guidance for all my questions from the Series 1 club..
So pretty much replacing the gear box would do the trick? (if that's the case)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My fn2 gears are a little bit notchy, I think they all are hence why a lot of people fit a weighted gear knob to help. But if you have high mileage then a new clutch could help.
Yes I have a weighted gear knob on, even a quick shifter which helped with the distance of changes. I was told it could also be the clutch or syncro I just cannot tell which one it.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I'd start with the clutch - has it had a fluid change? I certainly wouldn't be rushing to change the box ;)
Mine is a 9G & brake fluid change is 3 years - clutch likely the same - and likely the same on a 8g, also 75k/8 years for gearbox fluid change

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 and 2 were notchy on mine (Mk9) from new and Honda said it was normal.
I understand however when I got my vehicle at 74k it was smooth and no issues just over 3-4k the issue start happening. I'm on 79k now

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd start with the clutch - has it had a fluid change? I certainly wouldn't be rushing to change the box ;)
Yes had a fluid change and gear box oil change using genuine fluid🛢 with no improvements on the gear changes 😑

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I know others will disagree but I wouldn't be putting weighted gearknobs on or quickshifters tbh (tho I confess my 1972 Beetle had a quickshift adapter on 30 years ago :eek: - but I'm older & possibly just a little wiser now :unsure:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know others will disagree but I wouldn't be putting weighted gearknobs on or quickshifters tbh (tho I confess my 1972 Beetle had a quickshift adapter on 30 years ago :eek: - but I'm older & possibly just a little wiser now :unsure:)
I agree it isn't a smart idea especially as its already difficult to shift and not going into gears properly as these quick shifters have the tendency to snap (the ball joint on the metal sleeve) if you yank it hard enough I'd be really screwed whilst still driving lol *touch wood. Its safe if your shifts are smooth as you would like to put the least amount of stress on the short shift piece as mine was cheap kit on eBay

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Is it a big job to remove (the one on my '72 V Dub was basically just a spacer as I recall)? might be worth a punt & a heck of a lot cheaper than a punt on a new box!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it a big job to remove (the one on my '72 V Dub was basically just a spacer as I recall)? might be worth a punt & a heck of a lot cheaper than a punt on a new box!
Are you referring to the short shifter? I wouldn't say it is time consuming no but I had to shave off some of the plastic on the gear gaiter plastic surrounding that enables the plastic trim piece that sits on top of the gear stick. Otherwise with the extension of the gear stick it will hit the plastic and not allow the gear to do into place. Pretty much you'll be grinding on 2-3-6 mostly on third

·
Registered
241 Posts
Where's the biting point of your clutch pedal, Honda are terrible at setting it very close to the bottom and as the car ages it doesn't quite disengage the clutch making it bad for changing gear and also easy to stall the engine in some cars.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where's the biting point of your clutch pedal, Honda are terrible at setting it very close to the bottom and as the car ages it doesn't quite disengage the clutch making it bad for changing gear and also easy to stall the engine in some cars.
Its funny you say that on mine petrol its set relatively high I tried to set it lower but couldn't for my life undo the nut that holds the piston in place. The gap for movement is like a inch or so, one would need some special sort of tool to undo that. :oops:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Doesn't look good if you've done a clutch and gearbox fluid change...

My car was notchy when I first got it and the fluid changes fixed it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doesn't look good if you've done a clutch and gearbox fluid change...

My car was notchy when I first got it and the fluid changes fixed it.
Yea man it didn't fix it one bit so I think its a syncro so I need a gearbox replacement soon

1 - 20 of 31 Posts