2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 1.8 Type S.

Gear changes are getting a bit notchy. Fluid was changed around 3k miles ago for Honda MTF3.

Have a very squeaky clutch master.... Wondering if this could be the source of the issue. Thinking that the master might be failing.

Clutch seems to have plenty of meat on it, and gears engage better when the clutch is pushed all the way to the floor, but this is very hard work on the leg for daily driving.

Could changing the fluid and adjusting the clutch pedal help? Should I replace the master cylinder? The squeak is annoying anyway, so could this solve that?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I had the squeak in my car for well over 10k miles, tried everything, spraying it with stuff, bleeding clutch etc.

One day it simply went away and I've no idea how or why, I did spend awhile before obliterating it in silicon lubricant as it was the recommendation was on here but I had left it alone for a few weeks and it just vanished.

What do you mean by notchy? All gears? My 2nd gear is rubbish, as sometimes I really need to make sure it's in otherwise it'll jump out. Rest of the gears are "ok". I used Honda OEM gearbox oil around two years ago now and it's been ok since. There's talk on here to use a decent 3rd party gearbox oil as apparently Honda's own isn't so great.

·
i-Dtec
6,302 Posts
Bleed the clutch fluid. Bleed it, bleed it, bleed it again, then even though the fluid is clear and you think youve bleed it enough bleed it some more. Then I would change the MTF3 for a fully synthetic version. Opie oils have a few they recommend. 75w 80 with APi GL4 seems to be what's required. Liqi Moly have loads to choose from too, including their gearbox additive. Seriously Honda MFT3 is mineral oil and has the consistency of water.

·
Heading for the naughty step
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
3,105 Posts
I have had the squeaky clutch pedal since owned, then it was a clicking, then squeaking, clicking, squeaking, I have had it that long I don’t know if it’s doing now of just become part of the noises in the car, all blends in and I also had notchy gear changed especially from 2nd-3rd when giving it some beans. I have had the clutch changed, oil, has it proved, slightly. But I have found the the gear change is not the best as you feel the change than any other car I have had. But when driving spirited you have to get aggressive with the gear change other wise it can bite back occasionally.

·
Registered
Champ White Type-R GT
2,532 Posts
I have had the squeaky clutch pedal since owned, then it was a clicking, then squeaking, clicking, squeaking, I have had it that long I don’t know if it’s doing now of just become part of the noises in the car, all blends in and I also had notchy gear changed especially from 2nd-3rd when giving it some beans. I have had the clutch changed, oil, has it proved, slightly. But I have found the the gear change is not the best as you feel the change than any other car I have had. But when driving spirited you have to get aggressive with the gear change other wise it can bite back occasionally.
Betty can feel notchy 2nd to 3rd when cold, rest of time it's slick. The gearbox feel is pure grinnage :)

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
1,045 Posts
Bypassing the clutch damper can sometimes alleviate some issues such as engagement/disengagement delay however there is another delay valve in the either the slave or master cylinder (can't remember which) so it'll never be instantaneous action. The gearbox should always feel smooth though, if it doesn't and everything else is fresh then that points towards gear or synchro damage. Gears jumping out could also suggest linkage bushes may be worn so worth checking out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. It’s possible a previous owner was a bit slap happy with 2nd and 3rd, and damaged the synchros. But the gears all engage well and none of them pop out. Just a little notchy. Not crunchy. Just notchy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts