2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The Gear Knob in my Civic is a little loose. Can't really explain it, but it twists on the rod too easily, and Id like to secure it.

A lot of Civic Gear Knobs look like they can be replaced/are screwed on, but my one looks like it's secured with a plastic clip, but just isn't 'stiff' enough my liking. Does anyone have any suggestions to stiffen it?

2012 Civic 2.2 ES

(PS. Make all the Stiff Knob jokes you like!)

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
It's just a threaded shaft, you should just need to turn it in a clockwise direction to tighten it down; The gear gaiter is clipped on with plastic - That just needs to pull down (directly away from the knob) to release.

If you fancy an aftermarket knob, I'd reccomend a Skunk2 + Acuity shifter boot doodad - That's got an incorperated locknut, so it'll stay tight.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Yep - That's my old shifter :)

Best thing for you to do;
Grab the leather gaiter near the silver connector and pull directly down, away from the knob.

That'll seperate the gaiter and allow the knob to turn freely.

You can then unscrew / "screw the knob" - Lefty loosey, rightey tightey.

The plastic clip attaches the gaiter, the knob is screwed onto the shaft.

·
Registered
160 Posts
haha over a year I've used this site. Stumbled onto this thread and saw these instructions. My cars gear knob has been loose since I got it. Unclipped tightened and now feels weird to hold when driving but is firmly secure!

Many thanks Haltamer

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Unclipped tightened and now feels weird to hold when driving but is firmly secure!

Many thanks Haltamer
If it's at the wrong angle, you can add a lock nut. If you carefully slot an M10 nut through the plastic attachment, bit - Carefull not to drop it, or you'll have to get it out again :)

It will thread onto the shaft, and slot perfectly into the bottom of the plastic attachment - Allowing you to have a secure, and correctly angled shifter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No need to at all its firmly locked in place. Only feels weird as I'd gotten so used to the sheer amount of movement in it while changing gear! Such a small thing but such a nice difference.

Thank you again

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep - That's my old shifter :)

Best thing for you to do;
Grab the leather gaiter near the silver connector and pull directly down, away from the knob.

That'll seperate the gaiter and allow the knob to turn freely.

You can then unscrew / "screw the knob" - Lefty loosey, rightey tightey.

The plastic clip attaches the gaiter, the knob is screwed onto the shaft.
Haha, I'm such a mug, referencing your own guide as if I was trying to catch you out!

Well you were spot on, pushed down the gaiter, gave it a little twist and it started to tighten up. It must have a close-pitched thread as it didn't seem to rise or fall when twisted.

Now I have to decide whether I want to replace it with a garish boy racer one.. Hmm!

If anyone's done it, how have you kept the gaiter held up?

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Now I have to decide whether I want to replace it with a garish boy racer one.. Hmm!

If anyone's done it, how have you kept the gaiter held up?
I can help you there as well - I switched mine for a Skunk2, as can be seen in the other thread.

The first option (Cheaper!) is to follow my recommendation above - Slot in a 10mm nut and use it as a lock nut.

Slightly more expensive, is to get an acutity "Shift boot collar" upgrade, which will allow you to lock it on easily, as well as quickly pull the gaiter down as done originally.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if I can justify the £50 in that, but it's a quality solution. Think I'll stick with my current knob for now - the original problem is sorted. Don't want to take it too far from OEM spec either, I've been there and done that, made far too many cars worse than they started!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts