2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see from attached I think the previous owner wore some pretty heavy rings and seems to have rubbed a lot of the paint/laqeur off the top and left hand side of my gear knob. Any advice on how to remedy this?

OEM item is c.£80 from dealers and haven't found anything at the scrapyards. Can get 3rd party alternatives around the £20 mark, but am looking for something with the 6 speed map on the head of the knob and similar to the oem.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
is your car under warranty? if so not your problem but Honda's and I would be surprised if they refused to change this as Toyota changed a similar item and fault for us.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Whats miles on car anyway ?, prob fair wear and tear if high. Giveaway could be shiny rubber on top of gearknob

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty, and it wasn't even as bad as yours.
First they tried to blame me, because my rings would have caused the damage. But since I NEVER wear a ring, they admitted the paint was poor and replaced it.
The replacement knob had another kind of finish BTW.

·
Registered
149 Posts
mine was the same, so I just bought a leather audi TT gaiter from eBay and a Type R titanium gear knob... looks and feels awsome now. takes 5 mins max to replace all

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for advice guys. Car's second-hand with 60K on clock so warranty not applicable unfortunately. Prefer gaiterless look as well so skunk not an option. Fr0d how did you prepare the surface before spraying? Appreciate a process run-through. Thanks

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Thanks for advice guys. Car's second-hand with 60K on clock so warranty not applicable unfortunately. Prefer gaiterless look as well so skunk not an option. Fr0d how did you prepare the surface before spraying? Appreciate a process run-through. Thanks
The Skunk2 can be fitted with or without a gaiter ...

Or, what about the Honda 'Sport' knob ? ...

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
OEM item is c.£80 from dealers and haven't found anything at the scrapyards. Can get 3rd party alternatives around the £20 mark, but am looking for something with the 6 speed map on the head of the knob and similar to the oem.
I'm sure I only paid £25 for a new one from my dealers. I certainly didn't pay more than £50. Maybe try another dealers?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I'm sure I only paid £25 for a new one from my dealers. I certainly didn't pay more than £50. Maybe try another dealers?
+1

£80 is a rip off. You can get the sports knob for £75-£80.

Have you tried a breaker's yard?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gear knob

Yeah tried local breakers and new shape civics seem as rare as hens teeth. Only ones I could find were being sold as entire car for repair etc, not for breaking. Nothing OEM on ebay below £40 either and all the £20 repo ones don't have the gear "map" on top.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
If I remember I'll try and dig out the invoice to see if there's a part number or something that your dealers can look up for you as I know that on their system it's in a really really weird place. Took my dealers a while to find it.

I wonder if your dealers are looking at the entire part rather than just the top bit (which I believe screws off) hence why it's very expensive.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I have replaced my oem one with the aluminium one from Honda, I still have the original and would be happy to sell it if you want(its still perfect and was only on the car for two months from new), we would have to move to sale area or PM though, i don't want to break any of the rules.
:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
£25?

Thanks emmaloula

Found this link which lists the knob as part no 08U92-SMG-600B for.....£83.40!!!! Eye-watering money just for a knob. The £25 you paid is far more like what I was expecting especially when after market ones start at £10 or so (but without the "gear map.") So would appreciate the part no if you find it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Iv got the skunk2 with no gaitor, had it 3 days and it's the best mod iv ever done, shifts really are alot better! Looks good with no gaitor too! Your missing out without one

·
Mugenised CR-Z GT
502 Posts

civc warranty is 90k/ 3 years not 60k unless it is a Cyprus import

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Mine looked the same and it was 3yrs3mth old. Lost the paint in front.

Just replaced it with Skunk2 but im just not sure. Bit small it is. Feel strange when compared to old one. Shifting gears....hmmmm.....maybe a bit better.

sent from SGS.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Thanks emmaloula

Found this link which lists the knob as part no 08U92-SMG-600B for.....£83.40!!!! Eye-watering money just for a knob. The £25 you paid is far more like what I was expecting especially when after market ones start at £10 or so (but without the "gear map.") So would appreciate the part no if you find it. Thanks
Ok, sorry for delay in replying, I Don't always receive email notifications!

Right, I've checked my paper work and I might have been wrong with the whole £25 thing (although even now I still have £25 in my head!) I've found what I think must be the item as it's says: Knob Comp, cha. If this is the part (can't think what else a knob might be!) then it was £54.72 and number I've got down is H54102SMGE01 or/and 009223.

Hope this helps? Sorry it's more than £25 :-(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts