2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.2 Sport

After just 4 journeys, I couldn't get 2nd, 4th, 6th or reverse. Turned out to be a broken cable.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Ouch..bad news. What has the dealer said?

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Hmmm, well this is interesting because I havent read about any gear problems before this one. I had to have a replacement car due to a fault with my gears on the original car, although I could change gear, on many occasions it was imposible to go from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd and in the end I had intermittent problems with all the gear changes. Over the last week and at approx 800 miles I have noticed 2nd to 3rd is becoming increasingly stiff and very "clunky" in sound although all the other gear movements are fine I keep hoping it will go away surely I cant be that unlucky to have another car with gear problems!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the broken cable was concerned, the dealer said 'we've not seen one of those before'!

But worse was the fact that there I was in the garage forecourt with a car that couldn't even reverse out of the place where I'd parked it, and the Service Manager said:
'I'm sorry we haven't a car we can lend you whilst yours is being repaired. We can lend you one to go home in tonight, but you'll have to bring it back in the morning, then we'll run you home'. As if I can waste half my morning travelling backwards and forwards. But it got worse, as an alternative he also suggested:
'We can push you out of the garage and you drive down the road, stop and phone the AA. They'll take you to Enterprise, hire a car for you and bring your car back to us'.

You can imagine how I felt. I was so taken aback that I rang my wife and she picked me up.

Even though this was on a Thursday evening, it was late Monday morning when they rang and said the parts would be in in two days and they'd let me know when it would be ready. Meanwhile still no offer of a car!

I rang the salesman who got things moving a bit more quickly.

I've written to the owner, who said he will be replying to me - nothing yet after two weeks!

All this just four or so weeks after we'd bought two brand new Hondas (we bought a Jazz as well)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
The drive down the road and call the AA option was one used on me by a Renault dealer when by gear box bearings were causing problems. The daft thing was there was a caviat to the statement, if you drive down the road and before you get to the point to call the AA the problem gets worse I would have to pay, it would no longer be a warranty claim, as I had informed them of the problem and then left the forecourt. I wonder if they wanted me to do that and then play silly buggers with me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
richierich,

That sounds exactly what your Renault dealer intended - although he sounds a more imaginative one than most. The more expected approach was to come back in a month when they have a gap between warranty claims.

Getting warranty problems fixed was a real nightmare. Nothing was ever done in a single visit, which made it all the worse for the Lag II having more problems than the last 5 new cars put together. I had to threaten Small Claims Court action for the cost of a new Satnav system before they would fix a faulty unit. I finally got rid of it beause it was a few months out of warranty, showing symptoms of impending turbo failure (seriously expensive - and at least 1000 renault 1.9DCi engines have died of turbo failure in the UK), clutch failure (dodgy flywheel design) and a cam belt replacement due shortly ( a few hundred more pounds).

The Honda would have to be very bad indeed to be worse, but certainly isn't showing many signs of that so far. Mind you, I do miss some of the goodies, such as the drivers seat position memory, and the auto dimming rear view mirrors, and the tyre pressure monitors ( mine fortunately didn't fall off, but many did), and the windows that closed from the remote key, and the wondering if the car would collapse during the next journey... Whoops, I've spoiled the nostalgia.

Mind you, if it weren't for the Renault's problems, I wouldn't have the delight of driving the Civic, even if the visibility is a bit less than perfect.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Does the Civic have the function to control the windows from the key? Anyone??

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
richierich said:
Does the Civic have the function to control the windows from the key? Anyone??
You have to activate the feature first. Put the key into position 2, press and hold down the window switch on the passenger door with one hand and adjust the mirror to full left (using your right toe) whilst saying "activate" into the voice recognition.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I agree with Hartside, I think we need a How to on this, in fact I would consider paying for that How to if it included pictures.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I'll ask Jayne to pose for this. Of course, trying to accomplish this manoevre with the hindrance of clothing would be impossible.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I'm going to watch this section with great interest over the next few days. Don't disappoint !!! :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
347 Posts
It was all so boring with the Renault. You just held the remote button for a second or two, and the windows and sunroof closed. It looks like the Civic alternative is much, much more interesting.[/img]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts