2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have just purchased a honda civic 1.8 EX-iShift 2007(Hatchback-UK model), with 44k miles on the clock,
1) i have noticed that in the normal auto mode the gear shifts at/around 3.5-4 RPM , is it really normal ?? or on what RPM it should change the gear normally.

2) What should be the default RPM reading without even touching the accelerator.

3) what should be the fuel consumption in the city and if its too low what could be the reason.

3)and if anyone could recommend me the most appropriate engine and gear oil type for Long/short drive usage in United Kingdom considering the weather conditions in the country.

being a new honda user , i would really appreciate a comprehensive and quick response.
Many Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
In auto mode the gear changes according to throttle position. Less throttle it will change earlier.

Tickover rpm depends how warm the engine is. It is roughly 700-800rpm when warm. Higher when warming up.

Town driving ruins fuel consumption of all cars. The weather at the moment is cold so this causes more fuel to be used too. Depending on how stop start it is you can be looking at 30mpg.

Engine oil would be Castrol Edge 0w/30 (A5). Gearbox oil is Honda MTF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for ** reply delta0...

i could see the RPM on my car which stays just below 1k after the engine is warmed up and the gear shifts at 3.5k to 4k rpm approx. is it normal and does it affect the fuel economy ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In auto mode the gear changes according to throttle position. Less throttle it will change earlier.

Tickover rpm depends how warm the engine is. It is roughly 700-800rpm when warm. Higher when warming up.

Town driving ruins fuel consumption of all cars. The weather at the moment is cold so this causes more fuel to be used too. Depending on how stop start it is you can be looking at 30mpg.

Engine oil would be Castrol Edge 0w/30 (A5). Gearbox oil is Honda MTF.

thanks for your reply delta0...

i could see the RPM on my car which stays just below 1k after the engine is warmed up and the gear shifts at 3.5k to 4k rpm approx. is it normal and does it affect the fuel economy ?

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
It is normal and does not affect economy. It depends how much throttle you use as to the gear change rpm. More throttle and it will go higher before changing, less and it won't go as high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts