2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was doing some parallel parking near my parents last weekend and when selecting first (from reverse) the gearstick stuck.

Couldn't move it.

Took my foot off the clutch to see what gear it was in and due to th lack of movement in the car assumed that it was in neutral.

After much pumping of the clutch the gearstick eventually released and everything since then has behaved normally.

Is this something to be concerned about?

If so, any ideas what the problem is and is it a warranty issue (two months left on original 3 year warranty).

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Report it to your dealer.

Just in case the gearbox fails after you should be covered as you reported a fault with it before the warranty expired.

Failure to shift into gear is not a good sign of a gearbox.

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Report it to your dealer.

Just in case the gearbox fails after you should be covered as you reported a fault with it before the warranty expired.

Failure to shift into gear is not a good sign of a gearbox.
+1

·
Registered
353 Posts
Had a similar problem many years ago on a Rover 820 whilst trying to change down on approach to a roundabout. Ended up in neutral. Both times it went into 1st with the engine stopped. Both times I restarted the engine with the car in first gear and a foot on the clutch. A jerk, suggesting the clutch would not disengage, and a bang then the engine started. Had no further problems until it happened again a few years later.

I could only assume for some reason the clutch had stuck in the engaged position. Yours may be a clutch problem and not a gearbox problem. I believe the Rover may have had a Honda style gearbox as it had the same type of reverse selection.

Have to agree with the others it would be best to report it to your dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll mention it next month when it goes in for it's service.

I always find it difficult when there's nothing visibly wrong with a car and you have to report a fault.

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
I'll mention it next month when it goes in for it's service.

I always find it difficult when there's nothing visibly wrong with a car and you have to report a fault.
Listen mate, there is no way in a month of Sundays I would wait a month to report a fault like this. The sooner you report it the better, even if it seems ok at the moment. If the dealer is worth their salt they should try to find a fault. If they cannot fault it at least you have highlighted the issue for the record. Get it in and let them investigate it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Read the manual: it mention something about reversing and not engaging. You followed the correct procedure to overcome the issue.

Sometimes this is caused by the reverse-engage-protection (since is next to the 6th gear).
To avoid this issue you must come to a complete stop before trying to engage reverse.

·
regrets his username
7,983 Posts
I'm having the very same problems not had it for a while though, I'd reverse then the stick would be stuck solid I'd have to give it a whack with my palm. Got talking to a mate Saturday and the first thing he said was the selectors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well booked in at Honda Stockport on Friday, so will see what they come back with.

Might get the overly stiff passenger door handle looked at as well.

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Well booked in at Honda Stockport on Friday, so will see what they come back with.

Might get the overly stiff passenger door handle looked at as well.
Fingers crossed they find something and sort it for you.:)

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
If it does have an issue prepare to pay half of the repair as they will sucker it out of you since the gearbox is user controlled and user controlled things do not hold as much ground unlike ECU controlled things(Auto gearbox)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully it won't come to that, mind you I'd be very disappointed in a car having done 15k miles needing to argue the toss with a dealer about a mechanical part that should last the life of the car.

No matter how badly the previous owner ragged it - which they didn't.

ESP as it has a full main dealer history

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
I have a similar problem with a variety of cars, A Renault Clio that needed the gear selecter changed 3 times in the first 6 months, from new, and (again new) a mini that happened once but again was fixed under warranty.

·
regrets his username
7,983 Posts
Be prepared though, I recently went through this with a dealer under warranty. I had ongoing issues with changes, first they said i need a new clutch but this didn't solve the problems so it went back in they told me there's a bearing noise (booked in for 2 days for box check) right at the end of the first day I get a call saying non Honda box oil so sorry not covered, I argued my case saying these issues were reported before the oil was changed but they didn't want to know. I ended up paying them the 3hrs labour and got my car away from there, idiots were trying to tell me that the non honda box oil that was only in there a few wks has possibly knackered my whole box :confused: I only had minor notchy changes.
So be prepared as it can happen you book it in under warranty and they only need one minor to write off any warranty work so even if you decline any work you will be hit with a big labour bill. Mine only had 18'000 on the clock but this dealer didn't want to know, some dealers are shocking so pick a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
Bloody hell another reverse gear issue. Worried as I am having similar issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the car was checked out at Swansway and to give them credit they did as good a job as could have been expected.

They couldn't duplicate the problem and as such they couldn't find anything to fix.

So should there be an issue somewhere down the line then at least I've got a negotiating point with Honda to try and knock the price down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts