2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today it was apparent that I'm struck with a gearbox issue.

It's not the dreaded 2nd gear crunch but 4th gear lockout. On my drive home I was not able to select 4th gear, neither shifting up from 3rd nor shifting down from 5th. Of course it didn't happen all the time, but very often (I was basically shifting all the time after it happened first to see if I just did something wrong). I also noticed a strange sound while in 3rd which I haven't noticed before - I'm listening to music all the time but that sound still came through, but can't really locate the origin of it.

I tried to record it, but it doesn't really come out on the audio.

I'll contact my dealer about that tomorrow, let's see what he has to suggest.

:crying:

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,027 Posts
Ouch, not good! Hope it gets fixed by Honda soon.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done around 5500 km with it - which is quite a lot for a bit over a month - still shouldn't be an issue. And I'm driving not like a lunatic...

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Progress - well not really.

I talked to my dealer over the phone and he checked with the head mechanic - they haven't heard of an issue like that before, and haven't got any notice from Honda so far. He told me to keep on driving and when it happens again I should try if I can get it to be reproducible.
And he told me that I shouldn't use too little force to get the gears in - well okay. He of course mentioned that I might have pressed the clutch too lightly - but it's close to second nature for me to press the clutch pedal all the way - especially since that helped my old FK3 to overcome its slipping clutch most of the time I drove it.

So today evening I had some 120 km to test it out. And I got a bit closer to the problem I guess. It happens when shifting into 4th, but it doesn't matter where I'm coming from, so I can shift from 4th to 4th and get a "lockout". I write "lockout" because I was encouraged to use more force and with more force I was able to get the gear in - but in my opinion it is way too much force especially compared to other gears and 4th when it goes in in a normal way. And I made sure to press the clutch completely down to the metal while doing that. So I could just go 4th -> neutral -> 4th several times in a row, without letting go of the clutch. After 8 seconds the rev match will stop working (as per manual), but that didn't change the behavior. On average it happens every 15th shifting.

Having realized that, I also tried that while standing still and there it seems to never happen - also in slower speeds (~30 kph) it seemed to happen less often.

So, tomorrow on my way to work I will try that again (if traffic allows it) and if it behaves the same, I'll call my dealer again and will probably get an appointment to have the car looked at - much easier when the problem can be reproduced in a short time frame.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
The more I dig into this. There is a trend and its not just a few cars it seems. Whilst your dealer may not know of a problem, I'm pretty sure Honda are aware. Have you seen Flying Gatsos videos on you tube?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Have you seen Flying Gatsos videos on you tube?
:thumbsup: I was just about to highlight his channel and the issues he's had.

I haven't watched all the vids, all the way thru but didn't he resolve the g'box trouble with different gear oil?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I was just about to highlight his channel and the issues he's had.

I haven't watched all the vids, all the way thru but didn't he resolve the g'box trouble with different gear oil?
No, he thought he had but it was still there. Think last time, he was asking as many owners as possible to send a video to him, showing their car and a description of the gearbox fault and he was going to put it all together in one long video to Honda

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I'm well aware of FlyinGato and other mentions of the problem over the pond. I just don't have the feeling that that would help the matter much.
The head mechanic owns a Type R himself, so I'd guess he is keeping a close watch on anything official coming from Honda about it.

My dealer was quite happy that I was able to come up with a procedure to reproduce the problem and I'm booked for next Wednesday to come in. From my description his first guess is some issue with the gear lever linkage, which can be adjusted somehow. But that is just as good a guess as anyone elses.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah I'm well aware of FlyinGato and other mentions of the problem over the pond. I just don't have the feeling that that would help the matter much.

The head mechanic owns a Type R himself, so I'd guess he is keeping a close watch on anything official coming from Honda about it.

My dealer was quite happy that I was able to come up with a procedure to reproduce the problem and I'm booked for next Wednesday to come in. From my description his first guess is some issue with the gear lever linkage, which can be adjusted somehow. But that is just as good a guess as anyone elses.

Linkage .. no - I’d advise your dealer to ask about any other cars that have had this with Honda Europe.
There will be others.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Just to clarify something on this: Does the 4th gear "lockout" happen within a certain rev range where the condition is worse?

I am also assuming that this happens more frequently when the transmission oil is warm and doesn't happen when cold...

If this is a genuine issue, need to capture as much info as we can to feed into the Honda gurus.. Something else to look forward to :(

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it seems to be more speed oriented then rev oriented. In standstill it doesn't happen, at lower speed (30 kph) it doesn't happen so often, at medium speeds (70 kph) it happens every 10 to 15 times. After 8 seconds the rev match it off and it still happens (so the revs are at idle just like standing still)
The oil temperature seems not to be a factor. It happens when I start driving (around 0 °C currently) and it happens when I have been driving for more than 30 minutes (should be enough to heat it up).

The rev matching happens, so you can get it in far enough to trigger that sensor, but you can only move it further with a lot of force.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts