2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
So they know there's a problem but refuse to say there is one "for now" will no doubt release a bulletin in the future , probably when they've found the cheapest fix, just gets worse for owners.

So what happens in the future when they finally admit it, will they then reimburse and apologise to those owners that have gone through hell arguing their issues only to be hit with the bill

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Imagine the cost of any kind of gearbox or clutch related admission from Honda.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
new gearboxes are £6000 without the labour to fit it. in the end it was cheaper for my dealer to buy back my first FK8, and then repair it a 2nd time (for the new owner as I was not happy to have another rebuild box) and in the end Honda and the dealer did me a good deal to get me out of the original demo into a brand spanking new one.

New car is Build number #14874 - no issues "so far" but it only has 1800 miles on it since June 2018.

my tail of woe is over here https : //type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?103747-Cookie-s-FK8-Tale-of-Woe-4th-gear-lockout-and-popout

I've also heard rumours (but not from my dealer) that there might be a recall and fix happening.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Anyone else have or had issues with their gearbox lately and been back to a dealer? Is there a confirmed issue or still needs in the sand?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone else have or had issues with their gearbox lately and been back to a dealer? Is there a confirmed issue or still needs in the sand?

My last 3 claims are beng ignored by Honda - it’s been almost 3 months since they stopped helping me and trying to fix the car.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
That's ridiculous. Feel Really sorry for you. Spending your hard earnt money on something that's not getting fixed.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
That is ridiculous,
I don't think they realise how damaging to them it's becoming, just as long as the awards keep coming they couldn't give 2 hoots about customers

·
Registered
49 Posts
After replacing my box and replacing the clutch honda lost any interest in my car and me as a client...
I will have to fight to get the car replaced with my lawyers.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I've got 8000 km with mine and no issues. Just a curiosity, what are your vehicles serial numbers? Do you think they've managed somehow to fix the issue after a number of cars were manufactured? Though, I doubt.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
the FK2R general chat has been filled with my spammy posts about my notchy shift.
Dealer finally been able to feel something (4months, 3rd visit) - 2nd gear synchro they say. weird, i still feel it notchy in all gears so i'm putting my money on clutch... again. 2nd time its failed. This time i'm spending out on the Xtreme SMF kit.
Dealer is stripping the 'box for an inspection of the synchro so hopefully that will add to the failure count with central Honda, but i have my doubts on them finding anything wrong. booked in next week, but i've a feeling that will slip a week or two due to Xtreme kit availability. [edit: no date change, clutch confirmed for next week delivery]

new gearboxes might be £6k new, but if it's only a synchro @ £300/avg ea, then it's just labour to remove and strip; maybe £1k labour at dealer prices?
at 6k, i'd be looking at the quaife sequential 'box. not sure if it's suitable for daily road use or race only with regular rebuilds. if the forum hype is anything to go by, the factory gearbox will need regular rebuilds anyway

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
So far, I haven't had any gearbox issues.. Having said that, I have probably cursed it now!

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Vee, is yours one of the early cars. ? Considering an 18 plate one myself.

FK2R for me. 65 plate (nov'15) so not the earliest versions. i believe one of the first 3xxx-series S/N's on the forums i'm on too (probably means one of the first in the UK too) if that means anything to build runs or component use.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
FK2R for me. 65 plate (nov'15) so not the earliest versions. i believe one of the first 3xxx-series S/N's on the forums i'm on too (probably means one of the first in the UK too) if that means anything to build runs or component use.
Oh silly me. Wasn't reading it properly. You did say Fk2 in your post.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
if it helps any, theres some on a FB group with FK2 gearbox issues. hard not to jump on the same boat as the FK8. I assume the gearbox can be directly swapped, but i do know the ratios are different on the fk8. not sure if that means synchros are the same P/N or or not. Tegiwa lists some of the bearings as for both fk2 and fk8 so i'd say it's all the same apart from different ratios.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Dec 2018 (Nov 2018 build) with 1k miles on the clock and I reported the 2nd gear crunch to the dealer within the first day, they had the car in and I got the usual "we could not replicate the issue". When cold all is OK, but when the transmission warms up 50% of the time it will crunch either on the up or down shift.

I have noted that a few owners have changed the gearbox oil out and they now find the shifts smoother, I may well try this but my gut feeling is either syncrohub/mesh issue and/or hydraulics not releasing the clutch plate fast enough. Once moving it should not be necessary to depress the clutch to the floor and even when this is done there is no guarantee that the 2nd gear crunch will not happen.

TBH, this is spoiling my enjoyment of the Type R, it is my daily driver and it will see a lot of track use this year so at least I have it on record with the dealer in case the gearbox lets go, but I am amazed this issue is even there in the first place :(

121 - 140 of 176 Posts