2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Hmm. That's no good. My car is a June 18 car and up to 4000 med with no issues. Is it possible these issues are due to hydraulic pressure being a bit low?

Strange how some cars suffer and others are fine.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
4,548 Posts
Can you not take it in when it's hot and demonstrate it to your dealer?
I would be loathe to change the gearbox oil, as this might make it 'go away' for a while and mask the 'real' problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is my plan, not too keen on the dealer splitting the 'box. Having read a few articles on this now including a very detailed one on the pain a UK owner when through to get his sorted, this may well be a shimming issue on the gear set.

Any UK members recommend a northern dealer who has split one of these transmissions and put it back successfully?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,142 Posts
Reject the car, might make them wake up a bit

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did reject mine. After months of fighting. They did not wake up and rejected my claims as „the car is fine, tested by a couple of ‚independent’ drivers ” albeit it grinded on the test drives all the time. Basically i got official info from the guy in charge of our country’s honda warranty that its not a sports car and aggressive driving is unfortunately not an option with this „road vehicle”. When i asked why the gears are locking up and grinding on a halt when not given enough time to settle they officially told me that „this is a sports gearbox”... waste of time for this monty python ********.

I did not want any more contact with this rubbish car company so I’ve decided to settle with the dealer who bought this POS back from me (they did not want any problems).

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
Was that an fk8 type R,
If those comments came from a Honda warranty employee then I'd be slightly confused/worried

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
^^---- not sure what you mean by that...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’ve explained the car’s history some pages back in this topic if he is interested. About the gearbox being repaired, clutch replaced rtc.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Ah, OK with ya now :smile3: Thanks Michal - thought there was something else you were talking about.

So far, I have had no issues at all with my gearbox, so it seems to be a hit and miss issue. Not sure what is going on with Honda warranty of late, I have said this before on other posts relating to Honda customer service in the UK, certainly seems to have taken a nose dive for the worse..

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,142 Posts
I did reject mine. After months of fighting. They did not wake up and rejected my claims as „the car is fine, tested by a couple of ‚independent’ drivers ” albeit it grinded on the test drives all the time. Basically i got official info from the guy in charge of our country’s honda warranty that its not a sports car and aggressive driving is unfortunately not an option with this „road vehicle”. When i asked why the gears are locking up and grinding on a halt when not given enough time to settle they officially told me that „this is a sports gearbox”... waste of time for this monty python ********.

I did not want any more contact with this rubbish car company so I’ve decided to settle with the dealer who bought this POS back from me (they did not want any problems).

I'm talking about Arcam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm talking about Arcam.
Not quite there yet, I would prefer a proper fix for the issue and if a gearbox strip and repair is the way to go I want a UK dealer preferable in the North who has experience of repairing these to the correct standard.

I have rebuilt 80+ gearboxes/transaxles in my previous profession and doing it right for the 1st time at some of these dealerships would be a problem.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a Dec 2018 (Nov 2018 build) with 1k miles on the clock and I reported the 2nd gear crunch to the dealer within the first day, they had the car in and I got the usual "we could not replicate the issue". When cold all is OK, but when the transmission warms up 50% of the time it will crunch either on the up or down shift.

I have noted that a few owners have changed the gearbox oil out and they now find the shifts smoother, I may well try this but my gut feeling is either syncrohub/mesh issue and/or hydraulics not releasing the clutch plate fast enough. Once moving it should not be necessary to depress the clutch to the floor and even when this is done there is no guarantee that the 2nd gear crunch will not happen.

TBH, this is spoiling my enjoyment of the Type R, it is my daily driver and it will see a lot of track use this year so at least I have it on record with the dealer in case the gearbox lets go, but I am amazed this issue is even there in the first place :(

I would reject. I had a problem with the box and they replaced it. The new gearbox faulted again after only 800 miles , in the end they gave me another car but by that point I had lost the love.

I wouldn’t wish the rejection process on my worst enemy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would reject. I had a problem with the box and they replaced it. The new gearbox faulted again after only 800 miles , in the end they gave me another car but by that point I had lost the love.

I wouldn’t wish the rejection process on my worst enemy.

Same story here. Their continous fixing did not help at all and it was only getting worse. I wouldn’t recommend the process to anyone either...

·
4,548 Posts
I was understanding that when you reject, you had to give them just one chance to fix the fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was understanding that when you reject, you had to give them just one chance to fix the fault.
Not necessarily but it stands you in good stead for the rejection process but make it clear they will get only one shot.

If within the 1st month and it is a major issue then no repair needs to be accepted, 1 month to 6 generally give one attempt, after 6 the onus is on you to prove the fault existed at time of delivery.

Having rejected a Tesla twice, once on delivery day, the second time at 7 months and an iPace after 13 days I have lived through the hassle.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is there a “fix” for this now ?
Has this been resolved ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can anyone advise what's going on with these gearboxes? Have Honda sorted this mess out or what? I've direct messaged them twice on Twitter and the clowns haven't responded so I'm tempted to pose the question to them publically seen as they've not bothered their arse responding to me. I really want an FK8 but I don't want to blow 30k on one only to find my ownership to be blighted by constant problems with the car. I've read through this entire thread from start to finish and it's got me a bit concerned that they don't seem to be doing anything about these issues.

141 - 160 of 176 Posts