2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Anyone with experience changing gearbox oil on 1.6 i-dtec???
Where should I drain the gearbox oil from? Yesterday I spent 2 hours under the car and couldn't find the sump plug. I even removed the nearside wheel and the plastic cover to check there too, but still couldn't locate it. I am not a mechanic, but done this job with three different cars before and always been very easy/obvious and straight forward job
If someone have done this already please,please,please give me some directions. Couple of pictures would be amazing
Thank you

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did locate where to pour the new Oil from, but didn't see where to drain the old one. I removed 3 different bolts from the gearbox under the car which were looking like sump plug(they do not hold anything, just being screwed in to the gearbox - really strange) , but no oil was coming out from them. This is the only one(bad picture) I didn't touch as didn't have the right tool, but will give it a go this weekend and will let you know.
If anyone have experience with this share with us please
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazing post mate. Very very nice, but unfortunately mine is 1.6 diesel 9th get with different gearbox.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't had time yet and really was hoping someone with experience here to give some directions......
Will be changing the engine oil and filter soon and will spend little more time under the car and hopefully will manage to do the gearbox oil too. Will post if successful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Strange..... It works for me.
Anyway have a look in the forum under 9th gen/engines and transmisions/ see the topics there.... Should be one of the latest

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally managed to do it. Engine oil, gearbox oil, fuel, oil, air and cabin filters all done in one day (a long day) Gearbox oil is an easy job - Jack up the car,
remove the engine tray under the car,
You should be able to locate the gearbox under car and see the sump plug it is the only one 3/8" square socket. Remove it to drain the old oil.
To pour new one I removed the air filter box with the air hose and then you can see the same 3/8" square socket.
Unfortunately there is no dip stick, so be careful how much of the new oil is going in. I measured the old one in a jug and put the same quantity- it was around 2.1L
I didn't take any pictures and hope all this makes sense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need to flaten a car and star to fill with oil and when start dripping on draining plug that's inaf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yep, I did mine about a month ago as well. Really easy compared to the 8G 2.2 which requires you to take the whole undertray off. I managed to do it by just taking off the inspection cover and using some cardboard to direct the oil into a washing up bowl. Undoing the fill bolt was very hard though, had to end up using 2 extensions to bring the wrench out of the engine bay and then using a 26mm spanner to put extra torque onto the wrench. FYI - If you are replacing the washers, the fill bolt doesn't need one.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
Yep, I did mine about a month ago as well. Really easy compared to the 8G 2.2 which requires you to take the whole undertray off. I managed to do it by just taking off the inspection cover and using some cardboard to direct the oil into a washing up bowl. Undoing the fill bolt was very hard though, had to end up using 2 extensions to bring the wrench out of the engine bay and then using a 26mm spanner to put extra torque onto the wrench. FYI - If you are replacing the washers, the fill bolt doesn't need one.
What's the Interval for Gearbox Oil?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts