2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an FN2 which shows slight signs of the 3rd gear synchro issue.
It is minor and after having the car a while I don't consider it a problem as such. I can change the gearbox oil and may well be enough of an improvement.

Please could I ask for help with various questions?

If I go ahead with the expensive route of new synchros, what do I need to be aware of?

What other items do I need in terms of parts? What are the costs of these parts and the synchros?

I may as well budget another £200 for an oem clutch. Do I need bearings?

One of my excuses for doing this work when the issue isn't too bad is to change the final drive for acceleration. Any risk in changing this?

Are there any issues with working on the gearbox and potential damage?

What's the combined labour for all of this?

Thanks all, although I appreciate not many will have had work like this done!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did this exact thing, I used a guy from dorking area, he had a old skool approval from a few people I spoke with, when I phoned him I knew instantly that if it needed it he would change it, so I got, Honda clutch, Honda 3-4th synchro kit and Honda mtf3, the story is who is fitting it, I also had a quaife diff fitted and was then advised to buy the bearings, all of it I kept as genuine was about £700 parts if I remember correctly, then the diff was extra,

The 2010 onwards synchro kit has proven a cure, before that they could fail again, unlikely you will still get older ones but ask the question, also mfactory should be avoided with synchro's.

It is a laborious job not the sort you want to crack open again in the same time you own the car,

Diff was hands down best mod, I don't chase bhp, or lowering or looking good im interested in it handling correctly and it cured all understeer,

Just my opinion,

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
What issues have you heard about mfactory?

Heard nothing but good things about the synchros and LSD, only asking as I'll be getting both fitted soon from grinspeed.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you doing the sleeves aswel mate or just 1-6 syncros?
My only issue is 3rd gear, so just that synchro, or do I need 2nd as well? OR just he whole set?

What are the sleeves?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did this exact thing, I used a guy from dorking area, he had a old skool approval from a few people I spoke with, when I phoned him I knew instantly that if it needed it he would change it, so I got, Honda clutch, Honda 3-4th synchro kit and Honda mtf3, the story is who is fitting it, I also had a quaife diff fitted and was then advised to buy the bearings, all of it I kept as genuine was about £700 parts if I remember correctly, then the diff was extra,

The 2010 onwards synchro kit has proven a cure, before that they could fail again, unlikely you will still get older ones but ask the question, also mfactory should be avoided with synchro's.

It is a laborious job not the sort you want to crack open again in the same time you own the car,

Diff was hands down best mod, I don't chase bhp, or lowering or looking good im interested in it handling correctly and it cured all understeer,

Just my opinion,
I live near Dorking, any chance of getting his details, here or pm if you prefer.

I assume LSD only sorts under steer while on the throttle? That would add quite a cost, especially factoring £600 for final drive from Mfactory. I haven't read anything bad about them until now.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
The sleeves work with the syncros i beleive mate but you wont need to change them all but is nice to get them in for the price of a gearbox reassembly.......... @musegroove are you only doing your syncros aswel?

·
4,277 Posts
My box is fine, just refreshing the synchros whilst the box is open to futureproof.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
What issues have you heard about mfactory?

Heard nothing but good things about the synchros and LSD, only asking as I'll be getting both fitted soon from grinspeed.
I had an Mfactory LSD fitted at Grinspeed a few weeks ago. Absolutely worth the money. Get the racepack upgrade if you can.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
4,277 Posts
Will be doing mate, only a bit more for the race pack and I trust Stevie's work :)

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I live near Dorking, any chance of getting his details, here or pm if you prefer.

I assume LSD only sorts under steer while on the throttle? That would add quite a cost, especially factoring £600 for final drive from Mfactory. I haven't read anything bad about them until now.
Hi mate,if the chap in dorking doesn't work out...give tom at TGM in fleet a call and have a chat with him,he`s changed,built,swapped,upgraded and repaired more Honda gearboxs(usually in the pit lane lol!)than iv had cold beers...:wink3:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts