2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gear do you use at 30mph ?

I can't decide between 5th and 6th, if its flat 6th seems fine but if it goes up and down maybe 5th ?

is 6th in 30 ? bad to use for mpg

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Your gear selection seems waaaay too high, will be uneconomical and put extra load on the engine at low rpm.

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
30 in 3rd is 3k rpm, I use 4th most of the time purely because of my car is too loud to be cruising at 3k rpm.

Reactions: MarBras and Farqui

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
The car will go into 6th at 30. But as Farqui said, that's a bit high for that speed. 4th Is what I use for cruising in a 30. No strain on the engine that way and you have a little bit more oomph if needed.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
I tend to 6th on flat, anything not flat 4th and would never dream of flooring it in anything higher than 3rd at 30

Reactions: matty.h95

·
Enjoying life
8,562 Posts
I'll only cruise in 6th at 40mph plus (gradient dependant). 4th in a 30mph zone is fine. 5th in a 40 etc.

Reactions: matty.h95

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Honestly, maintaining 30mph in 6th on a flat surface requires only a featherlight touch on the throttle; even at 1500rpm I find it hard to believe that causes any strain on the engine in an FN2 (it doesn't even sound remotely like it's labouring).

Obviously meeting an incline or accelerating for some reason would require changing down a gear or two.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I don't do 30 in 6th, I'm not saying you can't but why would you want too? 4th I'm normally in or 5th if it's a constant 30 on a long road.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
Forgot to say that's on cruise control, manual I'd probably do 5th but I'm too lazy

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I don't do 30 in 6th, I'm not saying you can't but why would you want too? 4th I'm normally in or 5th if it's a constant 30 on a long road.

Seemingly, the only reasons would be fuel economy and reduced engine braking while coasting (although there are plenty of situations where engine braking would be desirable).

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
I don't see any advantages being in 6th at 30 in a CTR. The car isn't economical in any shape or form. Just stick it in 4th and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
But being in 6th rather than 4th or 5th requires more throttle therefore using more fuel ?

For maintaining 30mph? All you need is to press the peddle just enough to open the butterfly valve, so no more throttle in 6th than in 4th or 5th.

I don't see any advantages being in 6th at 30 in a CTR. The car isn't economical in any shape or form. Just stick it in 4th and enjoy it.

It's up to you how you drive your own car, but there ARE advantages to fuel economy by being in 6th.

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
For maintaining 30mph? All you need is to press the peddle just enough to open the butterfly valve, so no more throttle in 6th than in 4th or 5th.

It's up to you how you drive your own car, but there ARE advantages to fuel economy by being in 6th.
There is yes. But there is also advantages to eating salad.

End of the day 6th in a 30 isn't going to make much difference at all. As if it's a 30 there is a high chance there will be traffic light etc. So you'll have to stop and go back through the gears anyway. I agree you can drive your own car how you like. But it's really not making much difference unless you have a long road with no traffic lights or stoppages. Not sure about anyone else but I never bought my CTR for good mpg.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts