2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that Honda have installed a functioning geiger counter in late 08MY models - at least that's what it sounds like :rolleyes:! As of yesterday I now have intermitent and fairly loud clicks, varying in frequency, coming from the dash immediately in front of the driver. Now if it was a geiger counter I might be worried but as it is almost certainly bits of the dash moving in opposition at various times during driving I'm more :(.

Still, something else to keep the boys at the dealership busy when it goes back in early May; I'm sure they'll be delighted :rolleyes:!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It could well be but it is very close in front of me and particularly noticable when going round bends and on the bumpy bits of roads (most of the time around here). I've noticed that the 5dr Civic is particularly flexible and I suspect that it is this flex, coupled with cheapo plastics, that is the root cause of the problems.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Its the Windscreen Cowl..You have described the same symptoms
A quick fix, if you have some, is to squirt a little silicone lubricant between the screen and the cowl. Only lasts a couple of months but works

·
Registered
78 Posts
another geiger counter

My rattle sounds like its coming from somewhere above my right ear. The dealer has taken a look and adjusted clips etc but if anything this morning the rattle is worse :(.
Could this also be the windscreen cowl or something else another member has solved? It doesn't sound like its the windscreen.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies on the source of apparent radiation. I'll let the dealer sort it out but using an "engineering" solution rather than silicone spray. This particular noise is louder than all the others put together!

·
Registered
31 Posts
i just posted this on another thread

"i have the same problem since i got my type s new. the noise is hard to explain but its like a whirring or disk spinning noise and can get quite loud. Of course its intermittent and has never happened when ive been at the dealers!! It comes from centre of the dash around the radio controls area i think. its not the cd as ive tried taking the cd out and radio switched off etc. very very annoying but it can go away for a few weeks before returning."

but yeah it is like a geiger counter :) is this def the windscreen cowl???

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Disco I think that your problem may be different. When you next get the whirring/disk spinning noise turn the vent fans off/ac off etc and see what happens. It sounds a bit like you might have a bit of loose material in your vent system which is being disturbed by the fans being on. It could be something as mundane as a small piece of paper or leaf etc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... took the Civ to the dealers on the agreed date and would it perform (the clicking that is) - no. Didn't want to play so we all agreed (my decision initially) that there was no point in messing around when none of us could hear the noise and thus identify its source. So, next time it happens, and I'm around Ipswich at the time I'll take it in and get the Service Manager to ride with me.

On the good side though I got a Type R dash fitted and what a difference; I'm not surprised that Honda have decided to make these standard on the 09MY model.

Anyway I'll let you have a heads-up when the clicking comes back and I can get something done about it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well I've had the cowling fix done and the windscreen wipers repositioned and lubricated due to the noise they were making.

Also got the new dash and at least that's one less issue.

In the process of sorting the issues they seem to have broken some plastic nearly in two under the bonnet (checked following a thread from glepor I read yesterday) so they can fix that next time.

Also going back for a paint job on the rear door due to what the dealer called an "orange peel" effect.

Still got a rattle that's somewhere near my right ear. They've tried the headlining and nearby trim so I reckon it may well be the window now.

There darn issues are certainly testing my love for this car, especially with the potential clutch issues to come.

Good luck with your rattles: I'm sure a few more will appear before your next trip to the dealers!

I just dont believe those who claim to never have had a rattle: with the materials used, the design and build quality they are inevitable, especially with the suspension shaking more out.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Just reading these threads on trim/dashboard vibrations. My entire dash now creaks, groans, squeaks. Plus get the geiger counter on occasion from somewhere near/above the Satnav screen.

Typically silence whenever it goes near the dealer.

I've been asked to book a technician assisted drive to demonstrate the vibrations etc.

Thinking a new dash board is required?? Is that totally unreasonable? Or not likely to change.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Just reading these threads on trim/dashboard vibrations. My entire dash now creaks, groans, squeaks. Plus get the geiger counter on occasion from somewhere near/above the Satnav screen.

Typically silence whenever it goes near the dealer.

I've been asked to book a technician assisted drive to demonstrate the vibrations etc.

Thinking a new dash board is required?? Is that totally unreasonable? Or not likely to change.
Check out the wiper cowl.
It gives the impression that its the dash when it isnt!!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Heard of that, but this goes away when you press down on the dash above the nav screen.

Last time they replaced and padded all the screen holders but no joy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts