2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So i've had my Type R FN2 for a couple of months now and thought I should finally say hi, so hi!

Loving the car, it's got high mileage (84k) but only 1 previous owner and he worked on the other side of the country and went home every other weekend so all motorway miles. Anyway for £6700 inc. rage alloys, satnav and hft I can't complain too much.

Now i've settled in to it, I wan't to get a few things sorted and am after some advice:

1. I noticed it's below the min level on oil so need to get that topped up asap, any general agreement on what is the best stuff to use?

2. 3rd gear is a bit dodgy at times (hard to get in / pops out if you don't push hard enough) which can be embarrassing when you try to accelerate and rev the arse off it. I've heard replacing the gearbox oil with amsoil should fix it, is that right?

3. I fitted the xcarlink aux in today which was a drama in it's own right! I followed the guide on the wiki which was spot on! well done to the guy who did that! By the time i tested the music and put the dash back together i was thinking "this went too smoothly" nothing ever goes that well... that was until i tried to start the engine.. it was trying to turn over but nothing. I was really short on time so to get it sorted fast i embarrassingly had to rely on the RAC to come and fix it, 10 points to whoever can guess what it was.

anyway, kinda drifted off topic there.. so playing from my iPhone i noticed the sound was not right at all. I always had my suspicions but put it down to dodgy radio reception. To cut a long story short one of the tweeters is f**ked and the other doesn't even have a wire going to it and i'm pretty sure one of the main speakers aint right either. SO is it worth me trying to track down the bassworks(?) upgrade?

sorry if im droning on, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

James

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Hi James and welcome to Civinfo ;)

1. I noticed it's below the min level on oil so need to get that topped up asap, any general agreement on what is the best stuff to use?
Honda says Synth 0W30 for UK climate, but 5W30 or 5W40 might be better if you do longer runs.

2. 3rd gear is a bit dodgy at times (hard to get in / pops out if you don't push hard enough) which can be embarrassing when you try to accelerate and rev the arse off it. I've heard replacing the gearbox oil with amsoil should fix it, is that right?
I'm afraid that's your 3rd gear synchromesh that's gone :( no cheap/easy way round that, it needs swapping with the newer version 3rd/4th kit. £270 ish plus labour or a full gearbox swap. Common fault on '07(?) FN2's.

Can't help you with no.3, sorry. Someone will get back soon I'm sure :)

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
BTW, if you're gonna swap the synchro set I'd recommend doing it sooner rather than later. The gearbox magnet catches the ferrous bits but not the synchromesh (brass/bronze/copper/dunno but it's non-ferrous) material so it get's thrown around your box with the oil.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
For the 3rd gear crunch I'd try a gearbox oil change with Amsoil before replacing any parts. I say this because some members have found that the gearbox still crunched after the updated parts were installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts